Tips on fixing my Rockford P1000-1bd - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2010, 07:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tips on fixing my Rockford P1000-1bd

My Rockford Fosgate P1000-1bd keep randomly cutting out and all i have to do to get it working again is hit it a bit. the thermal light doesn't come on so i opened it up and found something loose (pictures). the purple wire on top is fine as is the metal strip that runs from the top down the side onto the board, its the connection at the base of the blue cylinder that's broken. also the part with the star on it is a little bit more wobbly than the other two. I was just wondering if ther was a trick to re-soldering it, or if its fine and it is the starred part that i should worry about, either way they both look really awkward to solder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edited1.jpg (942.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg edited3.jpg (903.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 30th January 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

Look under the board to see if the solder joint is cracked. Does the amp cut out if you wiggle those parts?

Craig
Old 30th January 2010, 08:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hey i got the board off, i assumed you couldn't because i took apart an old rockford amp a while back and it was somehow adhered to the rest of what i assume is a heat sink. yeah for easy soldering. and the joint is defenitly broken. what part of the amp should i not touch when its on. i disconnected mine for a couple days before i touched the innards so i wouldn't get electrocuted.
Old 30th January 2010, 08:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Get a wooden chop stick or something similar to move parts around. Don't use your fingers if you don't know what not to touch. While it's apart get magnifying glass and check the whole board over, especially hot spots.

Craig
Old 30th January 2010, 08:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

the connector at the base of the blue thing broke off do you think i could try to stick a new one in then solder it or do i need to make a trip the store
Old 30th January 2010, 08:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The blue thing is a resistor, can't tell what value from the pics. What color are the stripes? Also what are the overall dimensions? That will tell you something about the wattage it needs to be.

Craig
Old 30th January 2010, 09:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

its just under one inch tall and about a quarter inch wide with a shiny brown then two black then an orange strip one it(from top to bottom)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edited4.jpg (914.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 30th January 2010, 09:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Orange is 3, Black is 0. The first two are the read as they are 30 and the third is the muliplier(x10). The fourth band is the tolerance, probably don't need to worry about that. So it is a 30 Ohm resistor and looks about 5 Watts. Electronic parts store should have that, Rat Shack won't.

Craig
Old 30th January 2010, 09:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

awesome. thank you very much for all your help

Hide this!Advertise here!