0 to -12dB Attenuator in 0,5dB steps !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
i need some help regarding passive preamp/attenuator calculation/construction.

I´d like to feed my disk (vinyl) cutting lathe with the direct signal
output of my D/A converter unit without any active preamps if this is possible.

Output of the D/A is at 0dBFS(digital) +12 dBu output which lets the record cutting lathe cut a record with +12db.
i need to attenuate in 0.5dB steps down to 0DB. that means 24 steps would be perfect. maybe more.

i also like to pick the signal before or/and after the attentuator for my monitor matrix without affecting the signal.

could anyone help me designing this or tell me how i calculate the
resistor network. i am very bad in maths ! :)

The Attenuator btw. must work with 4 channels (2 x stereo) with minimum tolerance (0.1dB) between the cannels.

best regards

Junoman

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

For this particular application you are best served by a constant impedance attenuator.

Take a look at series type attenuators, not the shunt types.

If the fact that you have several resistors in series as you attenuate bothers you, than simply calculate each step as the sum of all previous ones and you're done.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

but i need some advice how to do this !

Meaning you need advice on the formula to use for the calculation of the resistor values or on how to hook them up?

Here's a basic series att. where more Rs are seried as you attenuate, I would use it slightly differently in that I summ the values preceding my next step.
Only disadvantage is that now have to switch in and output as you move.

A picture of the classic series attenuator:

If you need the formula, let me know. I'll try to type it in.

Also keep in mind that if you use 24 positions of a 24 position switch you won't have an end stop .

Attachments

• sch_mv.gif
    sch_mv.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 294
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.