Transformer advice needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to replace the transformer in my fairly old power amp" Dunlap Clarke 500" with a new Toroidal because here in the UK the voltage is 230V and the power amp is configured to work on 110volts. Fitted on the old transformer there is a .01uf I KV capacitor wired in parallel across the secondaries?? What's this cap supposed to do? and is it mandatory?

Kind regards

Ray

Last edited:
That is usually across the mains power and power switch to squash the ac voltage spikes and the inductive kickback of the transformer during power down. Review AN-1849, "An Audio Amplifier Power Supply Design" on the national.com web site. It should provide some enlightenment.

someone has done this before
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=983851

Last edited:
Raymond the UK is still on a 240Vac mains supply.
We just call it 230Vac to keep the Europeans happy.

Have a look inside and see how many primary windings are on that 110/120Vac transformer.
It may be very easy to convert it to 220/240Vac operation.

Hi Andrew

Alas the transformer has given up the ghost!! Open circuit!! Hence the new Toroidal! Just don't understand why they've put the cap across the secondaries?

Regards

Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.