Quasar QA8080

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I got a QUASAR QA8080 integrated amp which is not in working condition that someone has tampered with already. I found that Quasar is a non existent anymore Brazilian manufacturer of San Paulo. I'd like very much to acquire the schematics of this unit. It seems to be a worth piece of equipment to fix. Could anyone help me with this? Also any information about this model, and QUASAR in general.
Thanks!

Recently I got a QUASAR QA8080 integrated amp which is not in working condition that someone has tampered with already. I found that Quasar is a non existent anymore Brazilian manufacturer of San Paulo. I'd like very much to acquire the schematics of this unit. It seems to be a worth piece of equipment to fix. Could anyone help me with this? Also any information about this model, and QUASAR in general.
Thanks!

Regards,

Attachments

• qa8080.zip
    39.1 KB · Views: 89
BLMN, Thank you very much!
Just looked at the files, it seems these are the amp and PS boards. The preamp and tone control part seems to be missing. Anyway, I will try to get along with what is there. Appreciate your prompt response, and willing to help.:)

More information about this amp:

AUDIORAMA - Equipamentos de Audio - QUASAR Amplificador

http://www.quasar.hd1.com.br/01_qa8080.htm

schematic (I think complete, but I´m not sure)

4shared.com - free file sharing and storage

I have to say these amps are very limited (2n3055 semicomplementar simmetry circuits, 741 opamps everywhere, very poor quiescent current control). But are workhorses and very simple to maintain.

Regards,

Last edited:
I can inform something about Quasar

Was a very respectable factory, nice looking and super modern equipments related the time they were made... technology was very modern to those early days.

Here a text, and down the founder image, and some links that may give you more details about the company, historic files.

QUASAR = almost star => A term used in astronomy to describe a young star that is borning. What you will read are facts and data that are in the middle of improvement as to its accuracy information, and at the moment, contains most of the details which I had contact and knowledge, including some information based on some deductions, and for approaching the maximum realism.A Quasar has existed for about 26 years and was a family . Founded somewhere around 1960, by Mr. Alexander Sresnewsky and his brother, Mr. Kyril Sresnewsky. And shortly afterwards, after resignation of his brother, Mr. Kyril, continued with his other brother, Mr. Igor Sresnewksy Son to the closing of the factory .. The history of Quasar then begins with a need: Mr. Igor Sresnewsky father, an architect and sound engineer, was handling the responsibility for developing an acoustic design for the auditorium of a renowned drug maker, located in Sao Paulo. At this time, Mr. Alexander was studying engineering at Mackenzie, and was very fond of electronics and its association with the Audio and Acoustics, and Mr. Kyril, the economist, the same college. As there was no amplifiers that take full account of the need coming from the Acoustical design for this drug maker, the two brothers eventually develop an equipment which could provide multiple features and unique sound quality.

http://www.quasar.hd1.com.br/00.htm
http://www.quasar.hd1.com.br/02.htm

Shalom

Attachments

• Quasar President.jpg
    Quasar President.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Was a very respectable factory, nice looking and super modern equipments related the time they were made... technology was very modern to those early days.

Sorry Destroyer,

But that amps are very poorly designed, even for 70´s technologies. The people there did a lot of marketing tricks and strange names for those projects on trying to compensate technological limitations of the designs.

In the other hand, they are very well built and very easy to maintain and fix.

regards,

blmn and destroyer thanks for the info.
I will try to fix the unit and check out how it sounds.
As far as the look it looks good and well built. The transformer seems to be small for a 200WRMS amp, also the lack of large PS capacitors is somewhat strange. The parametric tone control is interesting.
If I get to fix it sometime, I'll report back.
Thanks a lot!

blmn and destroyer thanks for the info.
I will try to fix the unit and check out how it sounds.
As far as the look it looks good and well built. The transformer seems to be small for a 200WRMS amp, also the lack of large PS capacitors is somewhat strange. The parametric tone control is interesting.
If I get to fix it sometime, I'll report back.
Thanks a lot!

Ok. It not delivers more than 75w/80w per channel at 4 ohms. The power supply is very simple too, because, among other questions, high value/voltage caps were not easy to import or buy at 70´s in Brazil (almost all used to use the yellow/orange Siemens 5000u/50 or 70v units made in Brazil). The same happened with the output trannies, 2n3055 or RCA3055/RCA2955, local production too. In the following decade the things got better.

regards,

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.