SymAsym - "The Sequel", AAK's PCB Builders Thread - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2010, 03:31 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I am refering to these caps

C1,C2,C9,C11,C12,C13 Poly/Film 0.1uF 63V 505-MKS20.15/63/5

The BOM indicates 0,1uF while the mouser réf. is a 0,15uF .... kinda confusing.

TIA,

Max

EDIT: Same goes for the C1, 0,1uf in the BOM, 0,15uF in the Mouser ref. C10 Poly/Film 0.1uF 63V 505-MKP20.15/100/5

Last edited by coolnose; 7th October 2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 7th October 2010, 05:26 PM   #212
AAK is offline AAK  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Max,

I switched to 0.15uf because Mouser was out of the 0.1uf caps.

Al
Old 7th October 2010, 08:31 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Hi AL,

thanks alot for clarifying.

0.1uF seems to be available again,for those interested here are the Mouser part numbers:

505-MKP20.1/100/5

505-MKS2.1/63/5

Cheers,

Max
Old 7th October 2010, 09:00 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Me again,

but I want to send that order out tonight finally..

How come the BOM features 2 packs of 5 TOP-3 insulators for the Q22-25 ?

Maybe I am again missing something...

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone for clarifying.

Cheers,

Max
Old 7th October 2010, 10:48 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

Max,

Because there's five insulators per pack.

Regards,

Al
Old 5th February 2011, 10:06 PM   #216
Jack C. is offline Jack C.  France
diyAudio Member

Done!
My SymAsym is singing since a couple of days and it sings very very well (I didn't know my speakers were so good!).
I tried to build it carefully and all went without sparkles, smoke, hum, plop, sshhh...
Offset : 1,5 and 2 mV
2 transfos 2x30V ; 250 VA (yes , it's not 2x35V, but I had them...)
Now the case ...
Many thanks, Al. Congratulations, Michael Bittner!
Cordialement
J
Old 27th December 2011, 06:43 PM   #217
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone. I have been on a mission to finally finish building my symAsym for the last month. I assembled the first board and upon the testing procedure I have 2 smoking 100ohm resistors (inplace of fuses). I am using a 34v trafo and rail voltage is 48v. L3 is lit brightly and L4, L5 and L6 are dim. Aak has been helping me and he suggested that I build the second board. I did that over the weekend and the same thing is happening again, smoke and L3 brightly lit and L4, L5 and L6 are dim. So this leads me to believe the value of some component I am using must be incorrect. I measured all the resistors and they are correct. I will test the mica caps tonight anyone else has any suggestions?

Here are some pics of the second board (sorry it looks like a mess. I have been unsoldering and unsoldering almost everything. Im surprised the pcb hasnt disintegrated yet.)

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the case I built for my symAsym, I hope I can get this project completed soon

Old 29th May 2012, 12:42 PM   #218
SteveA is offline SteveA  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought 6 of the version 1.3 amp boards quite some time ago. I have now returned to the project having completed all the boards(except for output transistors on 4) I have tested the 8 boards which are complete (complete with dim bulb tester).

The bad news is 3 failed the smoke test. The somewhat better news is that the other 5 all passed the smoke test (all 8 board display the correct rail voltages of +/- 52.3 V which is inline with noload conditions for a 35-0-35 transformer I'm using). Testing the 5 boards with the 100R safety resister inplace I measured voltage drops accross this resistor ranging from 1.4V tp 1.7V. The assembly manual for version 1.4 indicates this drop should be 2.5-3.5V. Should the voltage drop for version 1.3 be the same or, if not, what should it be (and do I have an issue with the 5 smoke free boards)?

Thanks,
SteveA
Old 3rd June 2012, 03:12 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Coincidently I've just returned to this project too. I built 2 boards, both failed the 100 ohm test . Returning to the boards and reading the thread I see that Q20 and Q21 were recorded wrongly in an early BOM, which I missed - D'oh.

So I've put that right. Now at least the 100 ohm resistors don't smoke. However, I'm only getting 2V and 1.5V across them.

Does anyone have an idea?

Is there anyone out there?
Old 3rd June 2012, 04:21 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Hi SteveA, chalkandtalk,

Let me know what happens on the boards that are measuring less than 2.0V across the safety resistors if you turn pot R36 clockwise. Make sure to do it slowly. It may take several turns before you see any change. Does the voltage across the 100 ohm resistors stay the same or does it increase? If it increases make sure to keep it below 3.5V so that resistors don't over heat.

Lets continue this discussion on the Rev_1.4 builders thread here.

SymAsym - "The Sequel", AAK's Rev_1.4 PCB Builders Thread

Thanks!

Al

Last edited by AAK; 3rd June 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!