Burning/running in, fact or fiction? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Burning/running in?
Fact? 21 42.86%
Fiction? 28 57.14%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 09:25 AM   #1
nad is offline nad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default Burning/running in, fact or fiction?

In my last thread I asked what burn/run in times should be expected of new equipment, I realise now that I should have actually asked if folk believe it to be fact or fiction, so here goes....



Do you see burning/running in of new equipment as fiction?

Or;

Do you see burning/running in of new equipment as fact? If so, what would you say is to be expected and after what amount of time?

Namely in;

1. Solid state amplifiers
2. CD Players
3. Speakers
4. Interconnects
5. Speaker cables



I'm undecided myself so looking for as broad an answer as possible. I'm not looking to start a 'post war' though, so please refrain from attacking others for expressing their opinion, afterall, they're only opinions.


Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 10:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Fiction for everything but speaker drivers but it seems impossible to express that in this overly simplified poll.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 10:34 AM   #3
nad is offline nad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Fiction for everything but speaker drivers but it seems impossible to express that in this overly simplified poll.
Thank you for your input. I'm sorry you do not favour the simplicity of my poll, I kept it simple with no specifics to hopefully recieve as broad a reply on burning/running in as possible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member
 
Eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Near the sea
Send a message via MSN to Eva
Fact for mechanical parts.
Fiction for electronic parts.

Replies should be as simple as possible but not simpler
__________________
I use to feel like the small child in The Emperor's New Clothes tale
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 10:48 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Fact for 99% of mechanical parts.
Fiction for 99% of electronic parts.
__________________
And while they may not be as strong as apes, don't lock eyes with 'em, don't do it. Puts 'em on edge. They might go into berzerker mode; come at you like a whirling dervish, all fists and elbows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 11:01 AM   #6
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cape Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Fiction for electronic parts.
I'd expect some change with valves, though (for better or for worse).
Apparently electrolytics need to be "formed" too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 11:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
I'd expect some change with valves, though (for better or for worse).
Apparently electrolytics need to be "formed" too.
It can be argued that with tubes it's not burn in as such but normal wear and tear, that deminishes the performance. I believe most people expect burn-in to somehow improve performance.

Electrolytics need to be formed, yes. Could probably be seen as a form of burn-in.

Don't forget that the original meaning of burn-in was the process to weed out early failures in equipment ('infant mortality'). You would fire up your amp for several hours or days and if it survived, it was deemed to be reliable and thus burned-in. With expensive equipment, it is often done in the factory to avoid shipping products that fail within a few days at the customers place. Mil spec equipment is routinely burned-in.

jd
__________________
If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news? - W. S. Maugham
Check out Linear Audio!
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 11:16 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
It can be argued that with tubes it's not burn in as such but normal wear and tear, that diminishes the performance.
Although this is true, there is also a "burn in" process whereby the getter sweeps up some of the residual gas in the first few hours of operation. The grid current decreases and (sometimes) cathode emission increases. This is one reason why tube power amps have to be rebiased after a few hours, but then the bias is stable for a long time thereafter.
__________________
And while they may not be as strong as apes, don't lock eyes with 'em, don't do it. Puts 'em on edge. They might go into berzerker mode; come at you like a whirling dervish, all fists and elbows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 11:18 AM   #9
nad is offline nad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post

Don't forget that the original meaning of burn-in was the process to weed out early failures in equipment ('infant mortality'). You would fire up your amp for several hours or days and if it survived, it was deemed to be reliable and thus burned-in. With expensive equipment, it is often done in the factory to avoid shipping products that fail within a few days at the customers place. Mil spec equipment is routinely burned-in.

jd
Great reply, I never knew that.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 11:18 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator
 
pinkmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chatham, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Fact for 99% of mechanical parts.
Indeed. Having just spent the past five working days refurbing two 18" drivers that don't have the correct spare parts available any more, each bit of work required an hour or so running on sine wave to check each stage had bedded in properly. Just about all of them needed tweaking after testing.,
__________________
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burning/running in times? nad Solid State 181 25th January 2010 03:56 AM
Extemis - Fact of Fiction sbolin Multi-Way 15 23rd January 2005 04:29 PM
Found on Ebay - fact or fiction? Nuuk Multi-Way 53 24th April 2004 07:10 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:08 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2