Mystery resistor in simple audio amp - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2010, 12:45 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Hello

A year ago, I've made an amp with about .1 % distortions, but the even harmonics was dominants, and compared to a Radford and a Linar amp, the sound my amp was clearly, for everybody, very musical and engaging, giving a real pleasure, some of us did ear that there was a less precision but we all love it's musicality.

Not that I don't like a precise sound but we need both precision and musicality.

It's should be seen much as a psychoacoustic phenomenon than distortion and phases numbers. A clean amp are very good but not enough, it could have a very low distortions but without an engaging or musical sound you will just listen to a clinical or a dead sound, a kind of image of the music without the life of it. Wen can talk endless but the only judge are our ears, our brain are not an AP distortions analyser.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited by gaetan8888; 21st January 2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:55 AM   #92
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The worst sounding amplifier I ever owned was a 100Wrms per channel Kenwood Integrated with sigma drive (basically a 4 wire kelvin connection at the speakers) and a rated thd/imd/tim of something like 0.005% at rated power - it was awful.. The replacement Adcom GFA-2 measured about 20X dirtier, but sounded much better, that ultimately was replaced by a pair of McIntosh MC-30 tube amps that were even worse measuring, but good sounding..
Old 21st January 2010, 11:30 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

i didn't say there was anything wrong with liking the sound. there is a problem with using adjectives that are the opposite of what something IS, to describe it.
Old 21st January 2010, 08:29 PM   #94
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Jed,

It's not a problem, it's just an opinion, and might even be just an interpretation. We all have them......

For the record, I like well done amps in any genre, it's easy to find bad examples of all of them. And most have technical and sonic faults.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hide this!Advertise here!