Panasonic Dropping Through-Hole BJT's... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2010, 10:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Panasonic Dropping Through-Hole BJT's...

http://panasonic.co.jp/pscdd/en/prod...pdf/discon.pdf

Looks like pretty much ALL their through-hole devices are being phased out. Most of their best parts (TO-126 and TO-220) were dropped a couple of years ago, but there were still some very good parts left to choose from. Now it look like if you want something besides a surface-mount device, you'll be SOL, at least from Panasonic.

This, along with all the recently dropped parts from Fairchild, is going to really start making the repair biz a lot harder. The noose seems to be tightening as far as finding suitable devices for vintage SS gear.

I'm hoping my post is an exaggeration, but ALL the devices I use for audio are marked 'SD' which means 'Planned Discontinued'. They might be around for a few more months, might be around for another year. But I can't seem to find anything in the TO-92, TO-92L, TO-126, TO-220, or even the TO-3P package, that isn't on their list as discontinued or planned discontinued.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Yes, looks like through hole is on its way out. A lot of manufacturers have dropped these packages. I've started using SMD in my designs and its ok once you get used to it - even for small signal. however, the problem is for VAS stages - looks like the only way forward will be to come up with some creative heatsinking ideas.

As for repair - I agree, the noose is tightening.

Pity - same story as JFETS.

In its place we'll get . . . IC power amps and class D.

Ironically, tubes keep on comin' back!
Old 14th January 2010, 10:58 AM   #3
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Other than the size, SMD is actually quite good for DIYers... simple reason - drilling lots of holes in a home made PCB is a pain!

What parts are Fairchild dropping? It'll be a shame if they drop all their through hole stuff, they are currently #1 for parts for amps IMO
Old 14th January 2010, 12:05 PM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Oh my... what will happen to the high-power SS industry?

MOSFETs won't die for sure, with the power supply market only getting bigger. But I'd hate it if the only class-AB amps I see in the future are all chipamps.
Old 14th January 2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
I have been saying it for a long time but nobody seems to take it serious. The whole class AB (and A) thing is going to be progressively phased out during the following decades. Linear power supplies are also being phased out. Then again, isn't it stone age electronics?
Old 14th January 2010, 04:24 PM   #6
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There will surely be places where the lower noise of a linear supply is the only kind acceptable
Old 14th January 2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree, it's inevitable that through hole parts will go the same way that those other parts went, the ones that plug into heat resistant bases and glow when they are in use.

Who wants to stock up on NOS power transistors, keep them in their original packaging and try to get the rare one's and then try to attach to them a reputation for good sound so you can sell them at outrageous prices

I also agree with others opinions that Class D will become ubiquitous (if it hasn't already). It's energy efficient, it's improving as time goes by and it's already good enough for the majority of commercial applications. I would also join others in predicting the demise of the Class AB amplifier that we are currently most familiar with as the dominating technology; it will move to Class D.

I made my first pcb this year, it was my first amplifier, Class AB. It will very likely be my last pcb for through hole. I'm rather glad that I made it. I had always wondered about such things since I was interested in electronics as a kid and now I finally made something I should have done decades ago.

The amateur radio DIY community embraced SMD years ago and most other electronics hobbyists make very little that doesn't have an ic in the middle. We are the last hold-out
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 14th January 2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It's really just a matter of creating a massive stock of the parts we like. I sure have done so, as I saw this coming years ago. First the TO-3 devices were discontinued, then the TO-247 more or less went that way, now the rest are to follow shortly.

I also have made a repair stock for anything I've made, so spare parts are not really gonna be an issue for the next century or so

Magura
Old 14th January 2010, 05:44 PM   #9
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

panasonic has merged with sanyo last year, so it was
predictible that this would bring some changes in the semi s catalogs..
anyway, many good parts are no more available,whatever the brands,
which is surprising, as there s nothing better to replace those proved devices..
Old 14th January 2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
many good parts are no more available,whatever the brands, which is surprising, as there s nothing better to replace those proved devices..
isn't that just what the tube guys said too...

p.s. better hang on to those soldering irons and solder - if you are not already using lead free. The move to lead free is another backward-incompatibility risk.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!