a hundred questions from a noob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all. I just picked up a cheap H/K PM665 from a guy who knows even less about electronics than me. I have a few questions about it - there seems to be some weirdness with the balance and the bass contour switches. I don't know - maybe I should replace both? Where is a good place to buy them from?

If I want to mod this amp, where is a good place to start?

Here are the internals. It looks pretty mean, but wtf do I know. :cannotbe: :

Thanks in advance for helping another noob enter the hobby.

Attachments

• hk1.jpg
    hk1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 255
Hi, zoobie
What a beauty!!!
I guess the contacts from the switches are dirty or maybe worn out.
Look at the solderings of the pots and switches and redo them if necessary. Be prepared to remove a lot of screws, and remember where which screw fitted. Make a drawing.

I wont be an easy task to find replacement pots or (and) switches, unless you can order them from HK.
The best thing to do is replace them, if the solderings are ok.
You could try "contact cleaner", but it would be a shame to blow that spray in such a nice amp. Personally, if I have no other choice I used that spray in very small amounts. There is also a second spray, which washes away the "contact cleaner". Only consider this as a last resource!

Don't hurry; take your time. It's a very nice amp.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.