Adding a "Protection LED" on an amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2003, 06:09 PM   #11
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JojoD818
How do I use the clipping indicator for the leach amp? Do I just connect the output of my amp to the one labeled "output"?

Can I use this for my other amps?

Jojo

yes
yes
Old 2nd June 2003, 07:36 PM   #12
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sources foe such circuits

In Randy Slones books you can find simple circuits for clippping indicators, oscillation indicators, and circuit that provide speaker DC protection. delayed tuern on, and thermal protection with an LED flashing in various ways to indicate the sstatus.

Rod Elliot has clipping indicator as well as the SIM (Signal Impairment Monitor).

These are copy writed so they can't be posted here, but are easy enough to look up. All are fairly simple to build.
Old 2nd June 2003, 07:56 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

and if I'm looking for something not copyrighted?
Old 2nd June 2003, 08:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

You can use it even if it's copywrited. You just can't sell it or post it. You can go to Rod Elliot's site, print out your own copy and build it. What you should not do is post a copy here. Ditto with Slones except I don't think it posted on his web site. You could go to your library and if it is there make a copy, go home and build it.

Of course if you want to put it in a product for resale, the appropriate course would be to contact the individuals and work a deal. In either case, there may not actually be a patent so perhaps you could use it anyway so long as you didn't republish the schematic.
Old 2nd June 2003, 09:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sam9
You can use it even if it's copywrited. You just can't sell it or post it. You can go to Rod Elliot's site, print out your own copy and build it. What you should not do is post a copy here. Ditto with Slones except I don't think it posted on his web site. You could go to your library and if it is there make a copy, go home and build it.

Of course if you want to put it in a product for resale, the appropriate course would be to contact the individuals and work a deal. In either case, there may not actually be a patent so perhaps you could use it anyway so long as you didn't republish the schematic.

the problem is finding it in a french library...
Old 2nd June 2003, 09:39 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Ooopppsss,

I think I posted Rod's P3A on a thread here. I never thought that I may do something bad (stupid me).

For that, I am so sorry.

Jojo

Tnx for the reply about the clipping indicator.
Old 3rd June 2003, 03:28 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I doubt Rod minds as long as it is correctly attributed to him. In principle he could complain. Generally, the forum moderator steps in if something goes too far.
Old 3rd June 2003, 01:13 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Sam,

I don't have any intention of doing wrong to anybody, especially in this forum. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally did wrong.

I came to this forum to learn, not to make anybody mad.

I guess I should be more sensitive when posting other people's property.

Jojo
Old 3rd June 2003, 02:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JojoD818
Sam,

I don't have any intention of doing wrong to anybody, especially in this forum. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally did wrong.

I came to this forum to learn, not to make anybody mad.

I guess I should be more sensitive when posting other people's property.

Jojo

Rod's images are always tagged with the ESL logo, so I think he doesn't mind
Old 3rd June 2003, 11:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

"I don't have any intention of doing wrong to anybody, especially in this forum. I apologize to anyone I unintentionally did wrong."

Don't worry, I wasn't angry. I was just trying to explain some of the complexities. I'm married to someone who co-authored one of the early papers on intellectual property and the internet, so I get a lot of input (and cautions) on that subject whether I want it or not. The situation remains unclear in a lot of ways. Someone like Rod Elliot may be quite mellow about what you post, calculating that it serves to send more business his way. Another person (or company) might take an exteme position and attack with an army of lawyers.

Hide this!Advertise here!