Best books about solid state amplifiers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2010, 08:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best books about solid state amplifiers

Hello,
My audio DIY hobby has pretty much always concentrated to speaker building, but I've began to be more and more interested to amplifier technology too. The problem is, I have very little skill and knowledge about amplifiers. I've built a millett headphone amplifier from clear instructions, but that's pretty much all.

So I'm asking: What are the best books for a total beginner to amplifier technology AND amplifier measurements? (power/distortion etc.) I don't know that much about electricity, so the book(s) should be as easy to read as possible for a beginner.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted85 View Post
Hello,
My audio DIY hobby has pretty much always concentrated to speaker building, but I've began to be more and more interested to amplifier technology too. The problem is, I have very little skill and knowledge about amplifiers. I've built a millett headphone amplifier from clear instructions, but that's pretty much all.

So I'm asking: What are the best books for a total beginner to amplifier technology AND amplifier measurements? (power/distortion etc.) I don't know that much about electricity, so the book(s) should be as easy to read as possible for a beginner.

Thanks for any suggestions.
look there
audio Amplifier Design - Google Books
and there
One to watch out for... new book.

Google offers in some cases even read samples from any pages, so you can easy find out, what you understand.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 6th January 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 6th January 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Without doubt the books by Douglas Self... they should be required reading whether you agree with his designs or not
Old 6th January 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
Google offers in some cases even read samples from any pages, so you can easy find out, what you understand.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Still open for suggestions based on your personal experiences.
Old 6th January 2010, 07:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't call Douglas Self 'beginner-friendly' though...the Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook assumed more than a bit of electrical knowledge. Are his other books more introductory?
Old 6th January 2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodySteve View Post
I wouldn't call Douglas Self 'beginner-friendly' though...the Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook assumed more than a bit of electrical knowledge. Are his other books more introductory?
No
I would suggest a basic electronics book (Tooley - Electronic Circuits - fundamentals and applications or Horowitz and Hill, the Art of electronics. For example ) and a Self book
Old 6th January 2010, 08:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Really, the best thing to have is 'The Art of Electronics'. Yes, it is expensive, but worth it.
Old 6th January 2010, 08:51 PM   #8
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Second John's suggestion, outstanding book, very readable too.
Old 7th January 2010, 02:02 AM   #9
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

A perfect beginner book I've found (take it from a beginner) is the Tab Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics. The point that makes this book so suitable is that many of the examples and discussions are based around simple audio amplifier circuits, and many of the projects are ones suited to amplifier DIY'ers. A regulated bench power supply for example.

It's written by G. Randy Slone. (Love him or hate him.) He's not, in my opinion, a talented writer, but there's a lot of great BASIC information in that book to give a newbie a real jump-start.

http://www.amazon.com/Tab-Electronic.../dp/0071360573

And I 3rd the recommendation for Art of Electronics. Very readable, though very expensive. Buy it used. Try eBay.

..Todd
Old 7th January 2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Get The Art of Electronics (for basics) and then Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook, in that order, as suggested above. Also, ask lots of questions here (on the forum).

Hide this!Advertise here!