JFET question - Idss values

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JFET question - Idss values

What do they actually effect?

I understand that if I'm building a stereo amp of some sort I match the Idss values of the opposite parts, but what would be the effect of using a high Idss instead of a low Idss?

To put it int context I am going to build the following circuit using 2SK170 JFETS
They are availible in three varients
GR: 2.6~6.5 mA,
BL: 6.0~12 mA,
V: 10~20 mA
The schmatic dosent specify which.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am intending on getting the BL because their in the middle but I thought I'd ask first if there is any time when you would use one over another or are they just grouped like this for easier matching.
And advice apriciated.
J

So that is the le Pacific that I see mentioned now and then.

Honestly I don't like it much; as you already realized it is pretty picky about IDSS. Being a phono stage you would love to use the high IDSS parts as these have the nicely high transconductance.

The missing source resistors already show that the designer badly wants gain and does not care so much about distortion.

But that does not work out so well, as the low rails do not leave much drain-source voltage for the jfet if it is from the V-class.

That leaves only average IDSS BL-parts or use higher rails, at least 0.5W resistors and higher IDSS.*

Have fun, Hannes

PS: be sure to use a good power supply, PSRR is poor...

*EDIT: or high rails and cascode the jfets, that would also increase bandwidth. Maybe this is an educational circuit? Many changes feasible.

Last edited:
I have already made one with bog standard parts and I think it sounds excellent. I want to build one with higher quality parts and then look at modding it; I was thinking of using batteries for a super quite power supply. eight 9v aranged as 36v and theb regulated down, they should last for ages! and the rail voltage can be turned up very easily for mods.

Is my assumption above about the Idss correct?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
*EDIT: or high rails and cascode the jfets, that would also increase bandwidth. Maybe this is an educational circuit? Many changes feasible.

No higher rail than Vds max of the upper fet plus the small drop of the lower. Vpinch of the upper should be at least 2 times the lower's, initial idss of the upper more than the lower's, and running current at 30% or less of the lower's idss. A resistor between g,s of the base fet achieves that, and rises the en if critical.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.