2N3055 inside - commercial famous amplifier models, quasi complementary power output - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2010, 11:56 PM   #21
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a Bang&Olufsen receiver that used the 2N3055 and 2N2955 on a +60 V supply (AC coupled output). While working on it (fixing the Vbe multiplier), I learned the hard way that the collector is connected to the transistor case. Don't touch the case of the NPN and PNP at the same time.

~Tom
Old 20th February 2010, 07:37 AM   #22
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Similar to the Nelson Pass X series feedback, if you doubled the outputs you should be able to get 200W/4R out of the good old 2N3055.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hadley 622
Old 20th February 2010, 09:22 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Very interesting amp - thank you for this advice and especially the schematic.
to find more such amp models (and not such with MJ2955/2N3055 in use by output stage) was the reason for starting this thread
about
Favorite 2 channel amplifier [Archive] - Next Level Audio & Video Forum
(last post) Hadley 622 (designed by Mr. Jim Bongiorno) is compared with Threshold Stasis 3, Bedini BA-801, and Blue Circle BC-22 MK2

here some more URLs:
PUMPED: jim Biongorno will update my Hadley 622 amp..(nudies in here) [Archive] - SH Forums
Treffen zweier alter Säcke,zwecks hören einer aussergewöhnlichen Audioanlage! - HiFi Forum
James Bongiorno Designs
Introducing the X-GainClone
CBA - Claus Bücher Audio
where you will find more informations

additional URLs to this circuit topology:
Comments on unusual bridge amp?
* AllegroSound * Hadley 601 Stereo Tube Amp *
ampzilla2000

Unfortunately I don't find a photo with a front view of this amplifier (similar like tube based model "601"?).
Because this power silicon transistor was introduced by the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) already in the early 1960s, there must exist several of additional models from the early sixties. Such brand/models I like to know all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hadley 622 rear.jpg (71.3 KB, 2211 views)
File Type: jpg Hadley 622 rear II.jpg (68.0 KB, 2049 views)
File Type: jpg Hadley 622 inside I.jpg (70.7 KB, 2049 views)
File Type: jpg Hadley 622 inside II.jpg (68.6 KB, 2021 views)
File Type: jpg Hadley 622 inside III.jpg (71.2 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg Hadley 622 inside IV.jpg (87.5 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg Hadley_601.jpg (28.2 KB, 716 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 20th February 2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 20th February 2010, 11:08 AM   #24
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I recall a tour of a pro mixing board rebuilding house where they commented on the difficulty of getting "period" steel case 2N3055
Old 28th February 2010, 02:57 PM   #25
hahfran is offline hahfran  Germany
diyAudio Member

Complimentary topologies are not necessarily "better" then quasi complimentary.
At first from semiconductor physics it is impossible to have complimentary BJTs as well
als it is impossible to have complimentary n p channel MOsfets. These are truly "second order" effects but nevertheless the effects are measurable. For example in small signal
one cannot make a npn BJT with the same noise distribution as a pnp BJT. pnp BJT have
the lower low noise. This is semiconductor physics. Aside from small signal properties there are differences at large signal, too.
A complimentary symmetric push pull stage will cancel even order harmonics but these are just those which are less disturbing than odd order harmonics.
In this respect a quasi symmetric is clearly better it has in general higher thd but its odd order harmonics are always lower than even order harmonics. This, irrespective of the level of thd, sounds better.
However the disadvantage of quasi compliementary is in reactive distortion. The thd and spectrum is more sensitive to phase shifts of voltage versus current this can be seen at the dampening factors versus frequency.
Old 28th February 2010, 05:58 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

The 2N3055 was made by so many manufacturers in so many chip sizes that the distinction is almost meaningless. For instance the 25watt amplifier in the Mullard audio and radio circuit book used BDY20's and it was well known at the time that you could substitute the 2N3055 for that device.
Power supply makers who were interested in getting reliable supplies used 'big chip' devices because the dissipation would meet the specifications.
Old 28th February 2010, 06:01 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahfran View Post
Complimentary topologies are not necessarily "better" then quasi complimentary.
At first from semiconductor physics it is impossible to have complimentary BJTs as well
als it is impossible to have complimentary n p channel MOsfets. These are truly "second order" effects but nevertheless the effects are measurable. For example in small signal
one cannot make a npn BJT with the same noise distribution as a pnp BJT. pnp BJT have
the lower low noise. This is semiconductor physics. Aside from small signal properties there are differences at large signal, too.
A complimentary symmetric push pull stage will cancel even order harmonics but these are just those which are less disturbing than odd order harmonics.
In this respect a quasi symmetric is clearly better it has in general higher thd but its odd order harmonics are always lower than even order harmonics. This, irrespective of the level of thd, sounds better.
I agree

[/QUOTE] However the disadvantage of quasi compliementary is in reactive distortion. The thd and spectrum is more sensitive to phase shifts of voltage versus current this can be seen at the dampening factors versus frequency.[/QUOTE]
Please note, there are different versions of quasi complementary versions. By certainly versions you are right. Also the clipping behavior is by certainly versions rather unfavorable compare to the true complementary versions.
Look to my overview of a wide range from different versions where are only NPN BjTs resp. N-CH MOSFETs in the output stage.
go to
Only N-Channel MOSFETs (NMOS); better Audio from non complements by Audio Power?
It's cheap, it's N, it's dirty, it's.... The CIRCLOMOS!!!
Old 1st March 2010, 02:17 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Quad 303 (not 405, the current dumping verion !)

I have found a famous amp circuit topology again: The Quad 303 -
about post #6 and #7 from
How to identify a quasi-complementary amplifier?
and
Quad 303 triple cascade
you will find more informations
Old 1st March 2010, 09:51 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Don't forget the AR (Acoustic Research) amp

and receiver. Used transformer coupling to 3055 outputs as I remmeber.

CHarles
Old 1st March 2010, 11:07 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellavox View Post
and receiver. Used transformer coupling to 3055 outputs as I remmeber.

CHarles
perhaps the "P 10" ?
Acoustic Research P-10 | Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | HiFi Engine
Acoustic Research P10, P-10 Power Amplifier. - eBay (item 230438951720 end time Mar-19-10 13:24:51 PDT)

Hide this!Advertise here!