Upgrading Transformer in Crate Practice Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to replace the transformer in my Crate GTD15 practice amp for something with a little more oomph. I'd like to be able to use it as a small head amplifier, but its 15 watts makes it very limited. As it stands, is simply clips when given any significant demand running an external speaker.

What's in it is a 24vac, .625a transformer, and what I have is a 13.5vac, 3.5a transformer. The new transformer has roughly 3 times the mass of the old one, and is pushing a lot more wattage.

Now, I know very, VERY little about this kind of electronics. I do know that if I used a higher voltage transformer that it would be dangerous. What I don't know is if using the lower voltage, higher amperage transformer will yield better results, and if there's any danger in the higher amperage.

What do you guys think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.