My first real amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First amp I built was a TIP41/TIP42 based that did not use NFB. Not very powerful, had decent sound though. You can find it here

I've torn this one down though for a much better one which I have also designed. This one uses TIP35/TIP36 on the drivers, and two pairs of TIP42/TIP41 as preamp and middle stages. This design does use NFB, sounds much cleaner and is much more powerful. After blasting this amp through a two ohm load for three hours, the heatsink measured only 103 degrees F. I've just wound a toroid transformer because I plan to use it as a subwoofer amp in my car. The part count is fairly low considering its power and is 100% discrete component, no op amps whatsoever. If there is enough interest I will make schematics using MS-Paint and post pictures.

Ok, I'm at work now so I'll have to make schematics later tonight, hopefully one of you guys can try building it and tell me what you think. This is what I can tell you from here...

Part count:
6 transistors
2 trimmer pots
4 diodes
2 capacitors
7 resistors

-Closed loop voltage gain is around 300, current gain is much higher
-Absolutely no hum or hiss when idle, even on a breadboard
-It does not require a regulated supply
-It should run on anything from 5-0-5 to 75-0-75
-Bias settings are unaffected by supply voltages so you don't have to keep adjusting them
-It can be played as low as can possibly be heard and still sounds clean so my guess is crossover distortion is low
-Cost of parts excluding heatsink and power supply is less than $10
-It can drive a 2 ohm load at lower voltages with no problem

I will work on getting pics online, schematics will be up shortly after

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.