Higher Power Low TIM Leach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you can also make a good amp using the hitach that are sill
alive, with a lower voltage transfo??...though, less powerfull..
50W/pair...

Yes, I am going to test the channel that looks OK, and keep it as a back up for my working FET 500, or salvage the Hitachi's for a smaller amp. I'm sure all the fet's in the blown channel are dead, but they will be saved until I can confirm either way (need to make a tester).

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Stormrider,

Here's an archive of Jens's 10-pair Leach amp.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080510170113/delta-audio.com/Leach-Clone.htm

I have all the files archived myself if you need any of them. If I remember, Jens used it up to 70v rails, but I'm sure it's simple to push it the extra distance to 80v. 5 pairs of MJ21194/93 (to-3) would be good I think.

The boards are not shaped well for your heatsink, but you could reconfigure the output section with your layout.

..Todd

TO-3 and TO-3P are physically compatible

Interesting solution. But, I think converting the amp to use the TO3P packages would be as much work as retrofitting it with the Leach PCB's and, I already have the MJ21193/94's. I still don't understand why Hitachi discontinued the TO3 lateral. Seems like every mosfet amp from the 70's and 80's used it.

Stormrider,

FYI TO-3P are drop ins for TO-3!
You just bend the outer legs (G & D) on the TO-3P package 90 degrees backwards, the middle leg (S) isn't used in case the flange is connected directly, otherwise you just solder a wire from the middle leg, all other holes and leg spacing are exactly the same as TO-3, it's not for nothing the package got the name TO-3P.

Cheers Michael

Last edited:
Stormrider,

Here's an archive of Jens's 10-pair Leach amp.

DELTA AUDIO - Leach Amp Clone

I have all the files archived myself if you need any of them. If I remember, Jens used it up to 70v rails, but I'm sure it's simple to push it the extra distance to 80v. 5 pairs of MJ21194/93 (to-3) would be good I think.

The boards are not shaped well for your heatsink, but you could reconfigure the output section with your layout.

..Todd

The heatsinks only have space for four pairs.

I think I will hold off on this until I can do it right. Correct transformer (for +/-70Vdc), my own PCB for these heatsinks, etc... or if I decide to rebuild the amp with new mosfets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.