Need help to diagnose a Hafler DH200 problem...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I upgraded a DH200 (about one week ago) with new caps on the circuit boards and also the two big power supply caps (upgraded to 18000mf). The amp worked fine for a few days and did sound improved.

However, today the amp developed a strange problem. About 2 seconds after I turn it off there is a strange whistling noise in both channels that decreases in pitch and volume over about 5 seconds, then everything is quiet. It sounds like a capacitor discharging but I have no idea how to isolate this.

I am wondering if it could be the small caps on the input connecters but it seems unlikely that both would fail at the same time. These were not replaced.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Thanks for advice guys. I will work on this tomorrow night when I have a minute. To answers the questions asked in support of a diagnosis.

- There is mechanical noise which I believe is coming from the transformer. I have a replacement part arrive tomorrow to swap in.

- The new power caps are rated 75volts (18,000mfd). The original caps were 10,000mfd 75V.

- The polarity looks fine to me. The are electrolytic so I assume they would have blow up right away.

My current thinking is that it is the small cap that is solders on top of the rectofier. This could effect both channels if it is not working properly.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I will report back on Tuesday.

-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.