Dx Blame ES .... based into the Blameless, i am trying a new amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having fun, of course!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Almost ready to listen.jpg
    Almost ready to listen.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 5,738
  • Daily building things.jpg
    Daily building things.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 5,257
  • Dx Blame ES.jpg
    Dx Blame ES.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 5,059
Will be working on that this saturday.... resulting fine i will post the final

schematic, as also, the comparison with the Dx amplifier standard.

The wire you may see around the board (third image), is my grounding system for fast scratched boards... they go around alike frame, colecting leads needing to be grounded.... horizontal up position runs the positive rail, down the board, also horizontal position, runs the negative rail.a... in the first image you see up the ground line (frame ground) and bellow you see the positive rail..watch extreme left, there's a capacitor drawn from positive to ground.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx fast board.jpg
    Dx fast board.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 4,747
  • Let's have fun!.jpg
    Let's have fun!.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 4,379
  • Wire around is the ground frame.jpg
    Wire around is the ground frame.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:
Eu tambem Rafa!.... me to Rafa!

I have tested, and the amplifier really sounded better than my beloved Dx amplifier into the treble range....BUT.... have lost into the bass...the bass is weak, a shame!

Compared to Krill it sounded almost the same, and Krill is a very special amplifier, also was so good a beated by a very small amount the Techno by Bora..... my Dx HRII is almost the same into the treble range and has much more punch into the bass.

Nice unit, modified from Blameless..... will tweak for better bass.

Here is a link for a fast test made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnRoZ_jno4

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Blame EX.jpg
    Dx Blame EX.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,234
Last edited:
Iti is not exactly the blameless anymore, i have made some modifications

But even this way the sonics have not changed enougth... the bass is stucked (entupido) seems stays inside the speaker and do not propagate into the air, vibrations are smaller, windows does not shake alike Symassym.

Seems to me it is very good into the treble range, maybe because when we loose bass in level and quality we start to perceive the treble...you know....this fools us a lot and i have to install the Osciloscope to observe what is going on into the waveshapes and levels with the amplifier loaded.

There's a very strange effect resulted of human global perception...we do not listen treble or bass alone, you can reduce treble really reducing high frequency level OR increasing bass...into the global perception you perceive this way...of course you can reduce bass increasing treble too... things are ballanced.

At this moment i am burning transistors, i have burned many drivers as i have not high voltage drivers, and the amplifier puts lots of power into the high frequency range (not oscilating for sure, real audio, nice quality, crispy highs)

Will fix that using power transistors (medium power devices To220) into the driver position as BD139 and BD140 are burning because supply voltage to high for them (42 plus and 42 minus).

A matter of fact is the amplifier really distort less into the high frequencies, but, despite the enormous condenser into the input (10uf) it is reproducing a weak bass...maybe because the input impedance is too low (15K)

Wonderfull to treble, an excelent amplifier to treble, i have tried the blameless original circuit first, them i have tweaked, including parts missed, the feedback capacitor for instance, rail voltage regulator also, a different current calibration into the differential, also i have produced a better VBE to the second VAS stage compared to the first stage.

Symassym is a great amplifier, but this one have eated into the treble...symassym when face high levels of treble, high frequencies, it harshes, this one NOT, this one intermodulates... strange effect, alike when you try to listen 20 kilohertz and another tone, from lower frequency is reproduced as a result (when you increase volume and force the amplifier to put out 20 volts (sinus) into 8 ohms speaker (real speaker system)... the Dx amplifier suffer from self erasure, alike overbiased tape recorders into the high end of the spectrum.

The amplifier is more to the Krill (excelent unit) and also Techno from Bora (another lovely one)....may even beat Krill into the treble, but into the bass low end it is stucked (entupido)

O grave é uma verdadeira lerda!.... the bass is real a ship!

I am having a lot of fun, a pitty that i have not higher voltage complementary units to the driver position, some transistors went dead because i have insisted to replace them keeping the volume lower...but i could not resist to increase....and them they popped with flames....very nice to see, and sad to loose nice parts..... the NPN driver is going, maybe the hell CCS is doing that, sending huge current to the VAS, the transistors are operating around 590 milivolts, and this usually is too much, usually i have from 520 to 575 milivolts from base to emitter....will reduce current.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
It is interesting, very interesting it has a personality, a personal character while

burning, it goes in flames, yellow flames, when other pops a blue ligth and the transistor case is opened with a clear hole or a slice is busted!

Also the unit burns the stop resistors...i do not know if those resistances are too much weak (new ones i have received from Greece) but they carbonize easy and smells a lot.

The amplifier seems not to have a good mood when i ask high levels nearby the clipping levels.

At this moment it is into the repair table, i am waiting the sunrise to fix.... home ligth is not very good for that, also my head produces shadows.... waiting for the sun.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• To be repaired.jpg
    To be repaired.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 1,117
More interesting i found the drivers are operating with 33 miliamperes alternated

and less than 20 volts RMS from colector to emitter..this is something around 700 miliwatts, no reason to burn this way.

Maybe the unit is having oscilations into Very High Frequencies driven by the signal, you know, bursts of oscilations when you have high frequencies into the the audio envelope....maybe this is happening.

Will watch into the scope.

regards,

Carlos

Yep, was oscilations triggered by the signal

The amplifier was fixed and now the bass is strong, the amplifier has a bootstrapp (ahahahahah!) to feed the dual transistor VAS (Self) and some other modifications.

Sounding lovely...but...loves to oscilate that input..... when you power off you listen the noises that are signs of oscilations,

But the amplifier, while powered is now stable...and you can put your finger tip into the input and only 60 hz mains hum will be listened.

Lovely Dx Blame ES..... uncle Charlie gift to forum friends, in special the Dx Corporation people that has assembled Dx amplifiers.

I am evaluating..it is not HRII, nor Precision1, it is in another class.

THD is 0.00222% into 1 kilohertz and full power
THD is 0.01254% into 10 kilohertz and full power

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Will fix that using power transistors (medium power devices To220) into the driver position as BD139 and BD140 are burning because supply voltage to high for them (42 plus and 42 minus).

A matter of fact is the amplifier really distort less into the high frequencies, but, despite the enormous condenser into the input (10uf) it is reproducing a weak bass...maybe because the input impedance is too low (15K)

Carlos

BD139/140 are not the good devices to drive powers bjts at this level..
the datasheet show collapsing beta at more than 100 mA...
since bass are current demanding, no wonder that the bass is weak...
try BD791/792...if you havent some, use whatever you have that is
not as current restricted as your current drivers..

regards,

wahab

Give a good read dear Wahab, seems your translator failed with you.

Current is 35 miliamperes, voltage from colector and emitter, AC voltage is 20 volts , power is 0.7 watts.

What are you talking about my dear?

heheheheh...... what is the traditional beverage in your country my dear friend?

He is Cachaça, made using Sugar Cane...pure fire!

Want one?

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Cachaça.jpg
    Cachaça.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,620
  • Dx Blame ES - testing.jpg
    Dx Blame ES - testing.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,569
Last edited:
I was weighing in to make some changes also in Blamelles, could help with simulator, what you think Carlos?

My suggestions are:

1-Remove the darligton and replace with a cascode;
2-Replace the driver BJT for mosfets;
3-Using an inductor "lighter" the output;
4-increase speed (Slew-Rate) to improve the resolution.

Does anyone have any opinion?

I will do by myself, and after published the schematic you may open another thread

And produce your modifications.

Here we gonna have only one Dx Blame ES, something tested, guaranteed, reliable and tested.

Nada de futucar, faz o teu Rafa!.... not a good idea to tweak, make your own and give forum more options in the place to try to modify something that is working fine....if this was a good idea we will not have any amplifier made in this forum, as everybody wants to tweak a little...no troubles, tweak yours!

In a different way, the originality is diluted, a never ending design starts, each one with their own ideas...Wahab would remove BD139, you will open to all tweakers, others will change this and that... no amplifier will be ready this way...just an exercise of tweaking and not to finish the stuff.

Start form zero, make your choice into the schematic to start...can be even the blameless, the Dx Blame ES and go ahead..but open another thread instead to mess with this one.

Wahab... 50 years using BD139... thousands of amplifiers... several brands, all them using BD139...they forgot to ask you about the BD139/140, so, they forgot to have their designs to be transformed to junk..also the transistors forgot to explode as you said they are no good... poor transistor, they are already thinking themselves as beeing lovely ones.... the famous MJE340 and MJE350 i have tested..these are no good.

Give me a break man!... i am producing something from the glorious Doctor Self, inspired into one of our best engineers, a gift to the Corporation members, to make them happy with low distortion and the traditional deep bass from the Dx models.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 10 Khz.jpg
    10 Khz.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,520
  • 20 kilohertz thd.jpg
    20 kilohertz thd.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,392
  • Dx Blame ES at 100 Khz.jpg
    Dx Blame ES at 100 Khz.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,309
Last edited:
It is all rigth...it is finished, i am just tweaking, tuning, for sonics

and this is done into resistances (currents) and capacitors..the topologie is not changed.

Topologie and surrounding auxiliary subcircuits that are not inside the audio patch, are the first decision, them is to tweak for sonics...VBEs are important (a lot), currents also, capacitor values are also important (a lot).

Um pouco de pó de pirlimpimpim ajuda... a little portion or unobtanium use to help, some golder electrolitic to obtain golden sonics (ahahahahah!)

I am uploading another video to Youtube, showing the deep bass i could have including the boostrapp into the amplifier.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Blame ES during tests.jpg
    Dx Blame ES during tests.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Golden things.jpg
    Golden things.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Here is the schematic that is playing and will be under testing till next

Wednesday.

Dx Corporation reserves to itself the rigth to produce small modification those next days.

Of course remembers you the Blameless, half topologie is from Blameless, the idea came from Blameless...but it is a Dx Blame ES

Blameless does not use bootstrapp, and other things i have installed, all Dx traditional features.

You can build!...it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1sPqKuiFs

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Blame ES - to publish.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 992
Last edited:
Thank you folks.... almost 500 hits during a weekend is a must!

The amplifier deserves, the good work done by Self, and also my contribution to huge bass is there.

The devil's throat sound, the deep ocean drums from 30000 feet caves, the earthquake, the low tones from a thunderstorm ..all them can be reproduced, now, perfectly.... those sounds, reproduced into high levels, make you scared ,frightened, so real they are.

Also the bells, cymbals, hit hat and several metal hitted sounds were tested and they appeared much more present than i could listen usually, the Doctor Self input made that, also some tweak helped a lot, in special the phase advance into driver stop resistance and the reduction into the Miller (spreaded) and the feedback capacitor.

The amplifier is sensitive, the input capacitor, for instance, if you remove it and inject signal from the mains, touching your finger tip into the power amplifier's input, them you will listen some frequency beats that are typical from RF oscilations, heterodyne sounds.

Once again i have to thank Mr. Hugh Dean, he said, once, in 2004, the amplifier must be near the oscilation threshold to reproduce a good treble.... was interesting, those days he had not applied this into his units, i hope he is already applying the idea...works great into sonics.

Those early days i found this would result harshing..... i was wrong.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx case pic.jpg
    Dx case pic.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.