torodial transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am messing up with a Marantz amplifier that is doomed beyond any repair ...
the box is actually really spacy so i was thinking to use the preamplifier and selector section as is

then use another board for the amplifier which will require diferent trafo than allready existing

space and dimenesion wise i have area enough to fit two torodials 250w each but mounted on a top of each other

do you think that this might cause any complication ????

i am messing up with a Marantz amplifier that is doomed beyond any repair ...
the box is actually really spacy so i was thinking to use the preamplifier and selector section as is

then use another board for the amplifier which will require diferent trafo than allready existing

space and dimenesion wise i have area enough to fit two torodials 250w each but mounted on a top of each other

do you think that this might cause any complication ????

Ti kanis levendi?

I have mounted toroids on top of each other without any problems with a single bolt. Use the toroid base plate plus the rubber bushing between them. I would say 2 is the limit though because of the bolt tension required.

Yia
Quasi

i am just fine con .... thanks for your ineterst ....by the way all your amps are hapilly runing ( 4 so far made ) all of them working in small PA use or abuse ha ha ha ha

so far no protections no limmiters or so but also no problems at all ....

i have designed my wonderfull limmiter, boards are ready but since its xmas we are very busy so amps will keep working with out limmiters until farther notice ...

kind regards (καλη χρονια υγεια και αγαπη για σενα και την οικογενεια σου )
xmas creetings in greek form my friend con and famliy

thanks

Ti kanis levendi?

I have mounted toroids on top of each other without any problems with a single bolt. Use the toroid base plate plus the rubber bushing between them. I would say 2 is the limit though because of the bolt tension required.

Yia
Quasi

Its OK having 2 torids on top of each other so long as the bolt doesnt touch the top of the metal case and cause a shorted turn.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Its OK having 2 torids on top of each other so long as the bolt doesnt touch the top of the metal case and cause a shorted turn. "

LOL - good one. I had some colleagues who built identical amps (this is many years ago) and placed the main chassis earth point on the bolt holding the toroid. Plenty of hum until they worked out the problem!

yes yes ..... i ve made the same mistake when i was a kid

while constructing a quiet big amp ( the trafo was 1.5kw 48+48 ac ) the mechano arround it suported a screw that was long enough to be bolted from up side and down side so i think at the time since the trafo is so big it would be very nice to bolt it from both sides to keep it very stable

amp wokred just fine passed all testings until the final assembly and the top cover installed ...after that amps draw and a big zzzzzz sounded from the short in the trafo

took me some time to figer it out .... but wtf at the time i was 17....... ha ha ha ha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.