DIY Distortion Analyzer/Analysis? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2003, 02:35 AM   #71
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks.

Thanks for your efforts. I had wondered where such a project might be hidden. Now for some heavy reading.
Old 10th March 2003, 07:46 AM   #72
vbd is offline vbd
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot, jackinnj for your time !!!
This classical hard wired approach looks interesting !!!
Cheers !!!!
Old 10th March 2003, 09:19 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jackinnj,
very interesting stuff!
Marcello
Old 28th August 2003, 09:39 AM   #74
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

2 questions ...

1. Having studied the analyzer article quite extensively over the last months, - I wonder if it is possible to further improve upon it, by careful component selection, new opamps etc... the ref. .0003% is quite impressive for a DIY design, but still.......any ideas..??

2. Have any of you tried the programs referred to, like the Sumuller audiotester??
results anyone...
Old 28th August 2003, 12:19 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Default to get even lower

if it really has to go a lot lower, you can consider using very low noise op-amps (let me know if you need AD797's !) and hand matching the filter network resistors, more careful attention to power supply noise, more shielding -- there has been a really great series of articles in Electronics World by Bateman in which he crafted a 1kHz distortion analyzer capable of reading the wrinkles on a gnat's eyebrow.

if you go to the Analog Devices website and noodle around their application notes dealing with ultrasound, sonobuoys etc. you will pick up some valuable hints.
Old 28th August 2003, 09:33 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Folks, you are pushing your luck. Do you have the time and money to build a first class distortion analyzer? Why not try to get a pretty good one on e-bay or somewhere else and modify it, if necessary? Trust me, it will save you both time and money, to get something that already is in a box, ground loops worked out, and has a good meter. If you look around, (and are lucky) you can get a good distortion measuring instrument for 5%-10% of new cost. The used equipment companies seem to charge very high prices for the same thing that you can find elsewhere. Just look around.
Old 28th August 2003, 09:36 PM   #77
The one and only

All true, but this is diyAudio.com

Old 28th August 2003, 10:28 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All true, but this is diyAudio.com
Indeed, and exactly therefore I buy equipment second hand -
because after building my own DIY distortion-analyzer, DIY power-supplies, DIY spectrum-analyzer, DIY noise-meter, DIY curve-tracer, DIY scope (no joke, I have done this already.....well, it was a kit.... but still), DIY LCR-Meter... .......I would need a second life for my actual audio projects and....... meanwhile I`m aware that I got only one
Old 28th August 2003, 10:40 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Don't forget one of NP's favorite Sagan quotes:

'To make an apple pie, you must first create the universe'
Old 28th August 2003, 11:34 PM   #80
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Oscillator to match ?

Of course to get the most from a distortion analyzer you need a sine wave source with lower distortion and noise than the analyzer. Most diy sine generators come up a little short comparred to what people have been talking about in these post.

This leads me to the question: Has anyone tried to build the sine wave generator in the LT1115 datasheet?

If so, can you explain how it works -- it is just too many opamps "running in circles" for me to grasp clearly (or even murkily).

Hide this!Advertise here!