A little help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pioneer Xc-l5, its not worth much but, i like it.

I have been having problems with it cutting out, when its turned on it clicks music plays through the speakers for a few seconds then it clicks again then stops for about 10 seconds, then music will play for a few seconds, click off for 10 seconds etc etc.

I think this is a safety feature to prevent speakers from being ruined.

However when i unplug everything apart from the power cable this clicking still occurs.

It is an intermittant problem that is becoming more frequent.

I have checked the speaker terminals on the amplifier to see if any strands of wire is causing it, however they are clean.

Is there something stupid i have overlooked, or is there a more serious problem with it.

Cheers
Dave

The protection circuit is could be detecting DC on the output, where there should be none.
With the amplifier idling, measure DC volts on the speaker terminals to confirm this - at most a few tens of mV is allowed.
The fault is likely/possibly a small value (10uF to 47uF) signal coupling capacitor somewhere in the peamplifier or tone control circuit.

Alternatively, the protection circuitry may be faulty - "detecting" a problem where there is none.

The service manual is available free online.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.