Pavel's MOSFET Follower - No Darlington Mod - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Default Pavel's MOSFET Follower - No Darlington Mod

Hello everyone.

A few months ago I made a couple of the follower and everything was good. Its current source is based on the NPN darlington TIP142, which is getting increasingly harder to find here. Soon I think it will become a totally unavailable antique discrete. If the ones installed ever die after say 2 or 3 years, I don't know what I'll do.

In the shadow of the above-mentioned condition of the darlington, I thought how would it be if the CCS was also made of a MOSFET.

MOSFETs are fast. Appealing. I tried it, with an IRFP240 replacing the darlington's collector, base and emitter with drain, gate and source respectively. And for the zenner diode I used a 6V2 one instead of the default 3V3.

Before testing I ran a simulation and the config was a success. However, the simulator's current probe does not show quiescent current through them; don't know why. I'm complete newbie in the sim field.

I tried it with the changed config and at the time of writing this it's running quite good for about 8 hours since noon. Quiescent current is about 2.5 Amps. No sign of instability and/or oscillation. It's drawing pretty much the same power from the PS as it did with the darlington. It's also making the same noise(music) as loud and as tight as the previous. To say the truth the sound is little different from ago with nicer sounding highs, the sound is just different.
But that's all I could see through my ears, as I don't have sophisticated measuring instruments.

So, I humbly request PMA and all the interested and kind hearted people to give this a little of their precious time and let us know the details of the tests.

This is what the modified schematic looks like:-

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks

Last edited by shaan; 9th December 2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: one dot, just a single dot made the pic strange!!!
Old 9th December 2009, 04:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You might like to place a cap across the ZD6V2 diode to reduse noise.
Old 9th December 2009, 04:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info.

Any suitable value suggestion please...

Last edited by shaan; 9th December 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 9th December 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If the quiesient current is 2.5 amps, the 1 ohm resistor power rating is too low. What is the DC voltage at the output of the preamp?
Old 9th December 2009, 05:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawreyrw View Post
If the quiesient current is 2.5 amps, the 1 ohm resistor power rating is too low. What is the DC voltage at the output of the preamp?
Yes the 1 ohm resistor's power rating is too low indeed. I am using a 10 watt resistor for this.

The DC voltage at the output of the preamp is 23.8 Volts.
Old 10th December 2009, 03:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
You might like to place a cap across the ZD6V2 diode to reduse noise.
I am using a capacitance multiplier PS.
Old 10th December 2009, 03:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

listening test update:- The amp sounds more natural and liquid with the MOSFET CCS. I noted this after running the one of the old ones(darlington CCS) side by side with it. There is more luster in the sound, vocals are more open, neutral.
Anyone please tell me why this could be... thanks.

Last edited by shaan; 10th December 2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 03:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Another thing. There seems to be some kind of temporary but repeating chirping noise coming from the speaker. It's of very low volume, but is unusual. Coming after about every 6-7 seconds. What could be the reason? There is a BLDC fan cooling the heat sink. But it was there before and there was no noise.

And funny thing is that the noise seems to vanish when I touch the heat sink! What is happening?!?!?

thanks.

Last edited by shaan; 10th December 2009 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10th December 2009, 04:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
And funny thing is that the noise seems to vanish when I touch the heat sink! What is happening?!?!?
RF oscillation, most likely. As you noted, MOSFETs are fast, and like to make RF. Your schemo doesn't indicate that gate stoppers were used, and if not, that's probably what you've got. Touching the heat sink might just add enough RF loading to stop the oscillation. Try o'scoping, or running a SW xcvr near by to see if you have an RF problem.
Old 10th December 2009, 04:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Is the heatsink connected to chasis earth?

Hide this!Advertise here!