ASR COLLECTOR preamp (German)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a German made 'ASR Collector' preamplifier with fully load adjustable MC & MM phono section and also a line outline capability. It has an external mains supply power supply (in a separate rack mount enclosure). It appears to be an 1980s design from its use of Toshiba JFETS.

It is beautifully made using high quality components throughout and performs well.

Can anyone post here (or PM me) with a schematic for this obviously highend and costly preamp. If so I will be very grateful indeed.

I would also like to know of any 'tweeks' which are standard for this preamp. Again I will be pleased for any information as until very recently ASR is a maker which has been virtually unknown in the UK.

Thanks again,

Brian

Hope this can help you.

Attachments

• SH2 Collector 88-91 02.jpg
    SH2 Collector 88-91 02.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 567
  • SH02 Collector 88-91 02.jpg
    SH02 Collector 88-91 02.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 558
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nice one ;)

at first - quick- look I see possibility to swap double diff bjts with jfets ....

maybe some other tweak ..... - nice cap multipliers , for each channel separately ;

anyone willing to take some pics , and write something about exact physical layout ?

edit :

I see that Jaccovitty is always smarter than I am ....... even if that's easy task ..... :rofl:

Last edited:
I was too late to edit my post above.

Thank you all for your information and comments.

The model which I have is clearly an earlier version of the circuit above - from the electrolytics I would guess early 1980s. The board layout is much different, although from memory uses the same devices. The build quality is similar, though the AC mains powered PS case is a sheet steel rack-mount - not Plexiglass. There is an enormous shielded power umbilical hard wired to the Preamp and connected by a big multipin Studer studio plug to the PS

I will try to post some pics when I can walk again [ I have more Achilles tendon problems and am more or less immobile. ]

Last edited:
wish ya fast recovery .....

meanwhile - you can use lazy time to search for some old files ( magic word : Beeeeeee )

:) :p

Thanks A.

Will try, but it is mostly drawing of schematics of "spiders"! NOT my best or most natural ability, especially when they are part hidden by the form of construction and some components have had the printed information removed from them!!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks A.

Will try, but it is mostly drawing of schematics of "spiders"! NOT my best or most natural ability, especially when they are part hidden by the form of construction and some components have had the printed information removed from them!!

naah - if major effort is needed for that , just forget ...... I'm schematic scavenger ...... that's main reason , really not worth any troubles

:worship:

You probably mean a plug that looks like the one on the added pic, an industrial power connector type.
Sounds pretty rare for an early Schäfer & Rompf model to wind up in the UK.

That is almost, if not, the same plug Jacco.:) The pre has a very 'dense or solid sound. I am not surprised that it has a lot of driving capability!

I have had it a good few years and only restarted using it and reassessing it a few weeks ago. VERY musical and one of the few which allow some of the worst/more difficult DGG recordings to be less than aural torture!

In case anyone would like to see some pics of the thing : http://www.asraudio.de/Dpdf/HistDBasColl.pdf

Only preamp model i've encountered that can directly drive a K1000. (7.5-8W in 8 output stage)

I have now obtained an English copy of the handbook from ASR's site. Noticing that they claim that this preamp produces 8 watts, I connected Impulse horns (95Db sensitivity) and was amazed at the result. This thing drives the speakers superbly well. Most of all it is very much more pleasant in terms of musicality. The perceived sound stage and focus have vastly improved and the speakers have also lost their, well....horniness. I think that this thing is amazing.

Thank you Jacco for the clue!:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have now obtained an English copy of the handbook from ASR's site. Noticing that they claim that this preamp produces 8 watts, I connected Impulse horns (95Db sensitivity) and was amazed at the result. This thing drives the speakers superbly well. Most of all it is very much more pleasant in terms of musicality. The perceived sound stage and focus have vastly improved and the speakers have also lost their, well....horniness. I think that this thing is amazing.

Thank you Jacco for the clue!:)

well .... even if Jaccovitty is usually clueless :clown:

Impulse ?

H6/Lali ?

well .... even if Jaccovitty is usually clueless :clown:

Impulse ?

H6/Lali ?

But I did wait until I found the information from the maker!!!:D

H2.....The best of them....but the Ta'au which is the bigger Lali is the same but with better cos(t)metics.:D H2s do need a large room to breathe. When I had them in a smaller house they were not able to work properly and although nice they had no real strengths.

Check this site:
the Impulse Loudspeaker webpage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.