Anyone built this mosfet follower (or similar)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I'm thinking about building this circuit and using it with a valve preamp design I have sen that can supply a +/- 20v signal:

Project 83 - MOSFET Power Follower

Has anyone tried building one of these followers or something similar? Any comments on how it sounded? Any ideas, suggestions or improvements? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Greg.

I have build follow:
the project about
the Power Folllower
but modify to a unity gain preamp with 1A idle current and only 9V supply voltage (for undistorted +/-1,5Vss, for the user the best preamp on this planet)
and your suggested project, but with a sziklai modification of Parvel Macura for the upper MOSFET and 3,5A idle current by 22V supply voltage (sziklai means a current feedback pair = discrete IGBT, that content follow type: IRF510 and 2SA1216) ask Parvel Macura for schematic, because this isn't online currently.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm thinking about building this circuit and using it with a valve preamp design I have sen that can supply a +/- 20v signal:

Project 83 - MOSFET Power Follower

Has anyone tried building one of these followers or something similar? Any comments on how it sounded? Any ideas, suggestions or improvements? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Greg.

sorry - I can't comment on the sound. But I think your idea sounds good and worth building. I think it makes sense to do the experiment with the Power Follower.

I did an amp several years ago using a 6SL7 as voltage amp and a very similar output stage to Pavel's follower. All distortion was low order, and the sound was indeed wonderful. If you have never heard one of these amps - or indeed the Pass Zen which was seminal too - do yourself a favour and knock one up from junk box parts.

They sound absolutely transcendental, particularly good on jazz and vocals. IMHO they tend to fall down a little with orchestral music.

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.