Which 15000uf 63v caps??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy folks!

Anyone recommend a pair of 15000uf 63v main caps?

I have 10000uf 50v Mundorf Si's at the minute but they're showing 47v so there's not much headroom, hence the swap.

They must be reasonable in price as I'm not looking to spend more than £20 per cap.

Thanks

They must be reasonable in price as I'm not looking to spend more than £20 per cap.
Thanks
Because this is one of the important device, I would not recommend to buy a low cost version. On the other hand there is no justify to pay a unnecessary amount of £'s for the typical slogan "special made for audio"
You can use without problem also the value "10000uF". The follow examples offers very good quality and reliability:
Evox-Rifa | Passives | Capacitors | Capacitors, Aluminium | Clamp-fixing - ALS30, B43564 85°C |PEH200MD5100M
BHC Components | Passives | Capacitors | Capacitors, Aluminium | Clamp-fixing - ALS30, B43564 85°C |ALS30A103DE063
Epcos | Passives | Capacitors | Capacitors, Aluminium | Clamp-fixing - ALS30, B43564 85°C |B41456B8109M

Last edited:
Forgot to mention they're snap-in and I'm limited to 55mm in height.

Just incase the first post is missed, I am currently using 10000uf 50v Mundorf M-Lytic Si's but they're showing 47v, so looking to increase the headroom.

I'm also looking for 15000uf as I assume I will get better dynamics and bass response than with the original spec 10000uf value?

What do you think is wrong with using the existing capacitors at 47V rail voltages?
You are using them within specification.
BHC Specify a 65V surge rating for their ALS 50v capacitors.
So I would assume that your Mundorf caps would tolerate an occasional voltage spike.
Of course replacing them with new components will help, if they are old, or have been run at high temperatures. You will need to make sure that your new capacitors will fit in the existing space.
Audiocap
AudioCap.Net fom AudioCap Limited - The Audio Capacitor Supplier
Have a good selection of capacitors that would be suitable.

What do you think is wrong with using the existing capacitors at 47V rail voltages?
You are using them within specification.
BHC Specify a 65V surge rating for their ALS 50v capacitors.
So I would assume that your Mundorf caps would tolerate an occasional voltage spike.
Of course replacing them with new components will help, if they are old, or have been run at high temperatures. You will need to make sure that your new capacitors will fit in the existing space.
Audiocap
AudioCap.Net fom AudioCap Limited - The Audio Capacitor Supplier
Have a good selection of capacitors that would be suitable.

The Mundorfs are only a couple of months old. Do you not think I will get increased dynamics and bass with a 15000uf rather than a 10000uf?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Howdy folks!

but they're showing 47v so there's not much headroom, hence the swap.

Is that your supply that is 47Vdc ?

If so you should be ok with 50V caps
They are made to endure 50V safely, and may probably take a good deal more
I have even heard people claim caps to work better when working close to their limit
Too low voltage can make them become "dull"
So they say, but I dont know
Should I go buy new caps for 47Vdc, I would choose 63V too

I have decided to use BC caps from Schuro, Germany
The spec sheet seems gone, but last time I looked they were rated at 105degree and long life
Next option may be F&T from AudioCap.co.uk

Last edited:
First off why not measure the line they're on to see if the Mundorfs are working on their limit or already overspecced. If they're right on their limit maybe consider uprating, if they've already got a good overhead stay at 47V.

Secondly, it's not just a cut and shut case that if you up the capacitance you'll suddenly hear an extra abundance of dynamics and bass. What if the 10000uF is already more than enough? Increasing the capacitance might not make one iota of difference in these terms.

Another thing to consider if the increase in peak in-rush currents at turn on due to the increased capacitance. Be aware of this!

40W? OK I really think you should stick with the 10000uF!!!

I'll go on the logic that my 100wpc amp uses 4x 10000uF caps so halving the wattage to 50W (around what your Nad is capable of) equals to 20000uF, two 10000uF's as you already have! Stick with it as it is and save yourself the money for something more beneficial you might find you want to do...

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
As to whether or not 50V is giving enough of a safety margin or not, depends on what your mains is currently running at. If your mains is running at the top of its rated threshold, and you have 47V then you should be fine. If however your mains is running at its nominal value (or lower than nominal) then you strictly speaking don't have enough of a safety margin..

For example if when running at nominal mains voltage (230V) you are getting 47V rails, and the mains increases by 10% (which is within the allowable range) Then your rail voltage will increase to approx 51.7V if you are currently running at lower than nominal voltage then you could end up with even higher.

from World Mains Voltage chart. Free data sheet by GB Audio
Note: * Member countries of the European Union are presently striving to achieve a common mains standard.
From 1 January 2004 the mains supply should be 230V (-6%, +10%), 50 Hz (±1%). ie a range of 216.2 - 253V
This replaces the UK's former specification which was 240V ±6% (ie a range of 225.6 - 254.4V)
Variations should still be anticipated in some areas as the voltage will drop during periods of heavy demand and rise during periods of low demand.

As to whether or not increasing the capacitance will help or not, that probably depends more on whether or not your transformer is adequate or not. More capacitance will help prop up an underspecified transformer, but only for transients (a continuous tone for instance will be limited by the ability of the transformer and rectifier to recharge the caps). In the end large capacitances will help the PS deliver large currents on transients that require them, whether you have any that require more than the current 10,000uF caps + transformer can deliver, I don't know :)

Tony.

Do you not think I will get increased dynamics and bass with a 15000uf rather than a 10000uf?

No, I don't think so. Not even at 22.000 uF. Crucial for the improvement is primarily a low value of internal inductance and resistance. Only in the second line of my list of importance the value of the capacity itself determines dynamic behaivour. At 63V most brands reach the lowest possible value of inductance and resistance and therefore I get cleaner and tighter bass and more dynamics . Even with a voltage of 35 V, I recommend the use 63V capacitor versions, even if for reasons of space one must reduce the value of the capacity.
You do later mention they're snap-in and you are limited to 55mm in height. But you don't mention diameter. I think this value is 40 mm. Then you must use much more bader typ in opposite to scew types. But then the same rule is present. rs order code 104-405 (BHC order code ALP20A1006DD = 6800uF/63V) must be match. Please note: small product value of capacity and volume is still bad choice.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.