Voltage Vs Wattage question ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all i am new to this forum and would like to ask a question i am a newbie to this forum have had a small amount of experience with electronics but am confused as to why some sites state that for a certain wattage output of an amp you need a minimum voltage
is it possible to use higher rated components to deliver more current at the same voltage or does this create interference :confused: thanks in advance to all replies

It all depends on the load(speaker), for a given output(wattage) a 16 Ohm load will need a higher voltage,less current than a 4 Ohm load less voltage, more current. This is for solid state only, hollow state(tube) is another matter. Ohms law and various other formulae bare this out.

Craig

Little bit of math here, Ohms Law.

Voltage = Current * Resistance, V=IR

Power = Voltage * Current, P = VI

if we sub in V=IR into the power equation, P=VI we can get 2 alternative forms for power.

P = I*I*R

P = (V*V)/R

This is where a given wattage requires a certain amount of voltage into the load, R.

Little bit of math here, Ohms Law.

Voltage = Current * Resistance, V=IR

Power = Voltage * Current, P = VI

if we sub in V=IR into the power equation, P=VI we can get 2 alternative forms for power.

P = I*I*R

P = (V*V)/R

This is where a given wattage requires a certain amount of voltage into the load, R.
Thank you for this explanation it makes it a lot clearer
I am guessing car amps that produce high wattages run an internal inverter or smps.
a bit off topic but what is a good mosfet amp with crisp audio that can produce alot of power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.