What happens if you do "this" instead of "that"? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2009, 09:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What happens if you do "this" instead of "that"?

I mean, what happens with sonics?

This is subjective, but what you think, or know, will happens?

What will happens into the scope?

Do you think something may appear into the scope?

What happens into the fourier analisis?

Do you think something may appear into the fourier analisis?

Well....i intend to do that, and to post my ideas about, as i think this is usefull

In the future, in this same thread, i will recall it to post my findings.

For a while, if you want to "take a chance" them post your ideas about..want to say what you think?... here is your chance to open wide the big mouth and to post what you think, what you know, what you believe or what you gonna put your money on it.

The idea is to compare, one each time, into a very basic schematic, the Dx amplifier schematic, the basic from the basic, the cream from the cream (hehe), and to include modification... so, the original and the modification will be the "this" and "that".

Will post circuit images with some description.

regards,

Carlos
Old 5th December 2009, 09:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default This is the the input circuit, the differential load to colectors

the very standard approach compared with something more modern.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1xa.jpg (510.5 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg 1x.jpg (286.9 KB, 476 views)
Old 5th December 2009, 09:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default One each time.... the amplifier return to the standard schematic and them the

circuit substitution will happens.

First the standard, in this case the voltage regulator using zener will be into the circuit.

Second will enter the more advanced CCS to feed the differential long tail with a very stable and constant current.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2xa.jpg (172.0 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg 2x.jpg (277.9 KB, 422 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 5th December 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 5th December 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Now the voltage amplifier transistor compared to a more modern approach from Doctor

Self book... the 2 stage VAS.

Starting condition will be the original schematic, called "this" and the variation called "that"... the image posted at the left the original, to the rigth the more modern ideas.

All comparison will be made after check if all transistors are in conduction, and at least 15 miliamperes circulating into the output transistors.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3xa.jpg (289.1 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg 3x.jpg (332.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 5th December 2009, 09:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Now the current to the drivers transistors.... Electrocompaniet and some nice guys in

our forum as our scientist Roender and some other clever folks (John Curl), decided that to have good linearity we have to increase driver current, so, they are reducing a lot the driver resistance to obtain huge currents.

Here, the comparison is small current (6ma more or less) compared to huge currents from 20 to 25 miliamperes or even a little bit more.

The original circuit "this", will be compared to a modified using CCS providing more than 20 miliamperes to each driver.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4xa.jpg (277.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 4x.jpg (224.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 5th December 2009, 10:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default This is the basic schematic that will be modified

attached.

I am having circulation troubles, so, i will do that very slowly, will prepare boards with the modifed sub circuits to include into the prototype board that is already playing in my home.

I will recall the thread when needed to post something.

I hope you keep it with some movement posting your thoughts.

Observe that this means a lot of hard work, as i will have to "memorize" all the wave shape performance when standard to compare (perceive) differences...into the simulator is easy...but using scope it is a hard work, the scope is not digital, so i have not waveshape memory..will use my digital camera for that, to help me to remember what happens.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dx amplifier, custom to operate from 60 to 85 volts.pdf (72.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 5th December 2009, 01:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default In the reality i already have a good idea related what gonna happens

The most important thing in my mind, is to spread those ideas into the forum... also demonstrate all friends that only doing by yourself and testing (never believing) you will have some knowledge that will be good enougth to you to evaluate circuits just watching (30 percent precision on that...i think maximum)

Monitoring the forum hits, i found it nice, also i am watching forward for some cooperation here, people posting what they think about, well, deciding "the winner will be "this" or "that"....these things will be indicator to me to evaluate if this subject is wanted to forum folks or not.

Depending on that, i will go deep or will go slowing down, without too much interest.

No public, no need to work hard to confirm things i have already strong suspections about the results.

I found the hit number, to a saturday. very good to 3 hours old thread...this is nice...means people does not know, or have doubts or want to confirm their own ideas about ... looks people are interested.

When something is good to forum, them hits goes to thousand each day, but only from monday to fridays.

During weekends, 300 hits a day is already excelent.

be happy, i am listening and enjoying music, wishing you the best.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited by destroyer X; 5th December 2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 5th December 2009, 05:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Of course, the CCS to the differential will be adjusted to the same current we had

into the reference design.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg To adjust current.jpg (153.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 5th December 2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 5th December 2009, 05:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Here is the resistance value to the differential long tail current

... the current is 1.225 miliamperes (0.001225A), or 612.5 microamperes (0.0006125A) to each transistor colector to emitter current.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Correct value.jpg (292.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 5th December 2009, 06:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb A suggestion...

I tried to view the first picture in the first post, but it didn't fit my screen. so I tilted my screen 90 degrees, but still it doesnt fit on my screen, I have a 24" 'huge' screen with 1920 pixel width and the picture doesn't fit (check my attached picture I just took of my screen), then I checked closer into the file data and found out the picture is 2000 pixel high and half a Mega Byte large file size, Carlos please stop uploading those huge pictures for such a small things we can not view the pictures properly and it takes very very very loooooong time to download the pictures!!!

Now something about amplifiers, Carlos I have noted you have been in a downwards spiral since your latest amplifier when you couldn't find any pleasing result after all your efforts adding all kinds of "nice" features into your latest design. To be really honest I would suggest you to look into what Mr Pass is doing, try out for a while one of those very simple circuits he has done and become surprised how a one single transistor/mosfet amplifier can sound so good for being so simple, that's what I really would suggest you to check out!

Cheers Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HUGE_LTP.jpg (38.3 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Ultima Thule; 5th December 2009 at 06:22 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!