Confused about USB/DAC choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New here, but have read hundreds of threads on the probelm and lots of serious reccomendations from members on the issue of how to handle USB audio.
I have a hybrid amp right now (HiFiMan EF2) which has a USB/DAC/Tube/OpAmp configuration for headphone output.
I recently acquired Denon D5000's and can detect many flaws in the USB/DAC section (sizzle, jitter, gapping) and I am geeting fed up with it.
I would like to diy a solution but want a quick fix for now, and I can build in my leisure (who says leisure anymore?).
I saw a USB-DAC on a site and was wondering if you could tell me if you thought the chips and tech used was a good start.
iBasso D4 Mamba
USB-DAC/Headphone AMP
- Dual Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706
- USB signal input, provides I2S interface for decoding
- Works as a DAC+AMP Combo, a standalone AMP, or a standalone DAC (Line out function)
- 2-Setting Gain Switch for impedance matching
- OPAMP rollable
- AMP section can be powered by either USB or 9V battery
- 9hours play time with 9V 300mAh battery (when powered by battery)

Cost is $220 USD which is in my budget. I am going to purchase a HiFiMan EF5 which takes RCA analog in as my headphone amp.
Opamp: OPA275
Tube: RCA Clear top 12AU7
Frequency Response: 20-30K Hz
THD+N: less than 0.2%
S/N: more than 95dB
Input impedance: 50K Ohm
Output impedance: 2–2K Ohm headphones
Output signal strength: up to 15 Volts at 32 Ohm
Input: RCA*1
Output: 1/4 headphone jack*1
Acessory: 12AU7 tube, DY-1 power supply, compatible from 110v to 240v

Thank-you all for your time.

The WM8740 DACs are well regarded.
The PCM2706 is the go-to chip for usb DAC interfacing. The PCM2706 has a DAC aboard but if they are using the Wolfson chips then they are using the PCM2706 as a usb gto I2S decoder, as they mentioned.

If you follow the manufacturers' guidelines about building DAC circuits around their chips it is hard to screw up a DAC. The devil is in the analogue section of the DAC. It's what a builder does in the analogue section that defines the quality of the DAC.

That said, it may be difficult to drive a good set of headphones with either a 9V supply or USB bus power.

It might be better suited to preamp duty rather than as a headphone amp. However for the price...there are cheaper USB DAC / headphone amps out there, but you get what you pay for. The HiFi Man EF5 seems like a good choice to use as a headphone amp.
What's the output circuit on the EF5? The opamp or the 12AU7? Neither are overly good to drive low impedance cans.

My personal opinion (and I'm not a windows programmed) is that the problem with USB audio is the host computer. Windows wasn't designed as a music serving device and as such gives audio a pretty low priority. Consequently, the buffers can underflow causing drop outs. The USB is a burst mode bus and so generates lots of HF noise and then I've noticed a particularly annoying habit of sending a full scale sample here and there producing a random intermittent "snap".

I think the "network media tanks" over LAN or possibly wifi (depending on RF interference in your neighbourhood) are a better approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.