THD distortion HELP!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi:
Can anyone help me by giving me advise on how to perform an actual 0.006% THD of the circuit Blameless cause I am stuck on the circuit. I found out that my circuit THD is 0.63 and it is still high enough. I hope someone can give me some advise on how to reduce THD?
Is there any other issue caused the circuit THD to be so high?

Below is the diagram of Blamesless circuit and THD Spice Log and FFT graph Diagram.

THD.JPG

FFT.JPG

circuit.JPG

this amp doesn t exactly hold its name...
it work well if you remove TR12 and R30, and then connect the
base of TR4 directly to collector of TR10....
C3 must be kept as it is from collector of TR10 to collector
of TR4...
beside, it will eliminate the strange behaviours we can see
in the spectral analysis...

actually 1st try is setting up the sim and verifying you can meassure low thd by looking at the input sinewave distortion

look for my (jcx) posts containing "plotwinsize" or "fft" keywords for LtSpice settings for high resolution distoriton measurements

diyAudio Member

Try setting the value of the bias pot, PR1, to 211 before you do any other changes. When I run a sim on this circuit using models for the transistors he shows (except outputs, I didn't have those) I get THD of 0.004%.

I've try to tune until 211 and this also seem to be the same. do u mean ur models all the same ? I using the
BD 139 npn for the medium power trans Vceo=80V Icrating =1.5
QMJE15030 npn for the power transistor Vceo=150 Icrating=10
QMJE15031 pnp for the power transistor Vceo=150 Icrating=10
QMJL4281A npn for the power transistor Vceo=350 Icrating=15
QMJL4302A pnp for the power transistor Vceo=350 Icrating=15

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Check the bias currents by running a DC sim. If everything checks out to reasonable values, then run a transient sim with a sine wave input. If that looks good, then I'd probably run an AC sim of the open-loop gain (AVOL). If AVOL looks decent, then start looking at THD.

It is of course possible that you've already done all of that and now you're stuck on the THD. But I would find it odd if you didn't notice any oddities along the way.

I remember running THD sims on Self's Trimodal amp (blameless with class A/AB switching) back in the mid/late 1990'ies using PSpice and getting THD figures on the order of 0.001 %. Better than I could measure in the lab.

What does the THD look like at 1 kHz? How about 100 Hz?
Are any of the internal stages slewing in your 10 kHz sim?

~Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for your advice .
Ya definitely it got changes when i tune it until 1Khz. the result of Total Harmonic Distortion is 0.014849%
And if it tune to 100Hz the result of Total Harmonic Distortion is 0.092889%
But in the Dougles Self Book there is mentioned that in 10 Hz it will produce 0.0006% to 0.0011%

Thanks Tom

Yes i try to tune the Input to 1khz and the result of Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.014849%
while i try to tune it to 100Hz and its Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.092889%

There Dougles Self book mentioned that the 10hz should be lesser than 0.0006% to 0.0011%. and i dunno y my THD is totally so high. Does it affected by the model of LTspice ?And i using

BD 139 npn for the medium power trans Vceo=80V Icrating =1.5
QMJE15030 npn for the power transistor Vceo=150 Icrating=10
QMJE15031 pnp for the power transistor Vceo=150 Icrating=10
QMJL4281A npn for the power transistor Vceo=350 Icrating=15
QMJL4302A pnp for the power transistor Vceo=350 Icrating=15

Try setting the value of the bias pot, PR1, to 211 before you do any other changes. When I run a sim on this circuit using models for the transistors he shows (except outputs, I didn't have those) I get THD of 0.004%.

Hey Steve,
I able to do the THD until it is 0.004% . I using the medium power transistor of BD179 Vceo=80 I crating is about 3A.
And it someting I attached below

2.jpg 2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 99
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.