sorry, another beginner (hopefully soon)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Someone on the madisound board told me to try posting here for this.

All my DIY audio experience is in speaker building, but I hope to be in the SS game soon.

I am looking at the feasability of building the AKSA amp. I have heard nothign but good thigns about them, and the price fits into my starving-student budget (I think), but I am not sure if I owuld be capable of such a project.

First, how hard is it really to build? Is it something I could do successfully (and safely) with minimal electronics knowledge, a good ability to solder, and a lot of patience?

Second, how powerful is the 55wpc version? My homebrew speakers are about 88db sensitivity, and I like to play loud, but not earth-shaking. Also, I've heard that the 100 watt version tends to have a slightly more refined high end. Is this true?

Third, What exactly is in the kit and what will i have to get for the power supply? And overall, how much should the 55 and 100 wpc versions cost respectively?

also, How hard is it to add a passive volume control?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Zach England
Salt Lake City

My Opinion

I would not build any power amp as my first project. Having said that the AKSA55 is an easy build. Hugh includes all the amp board components. A few minor parts (fuseholder, RCA sockets, output posts are needed + the power supply. Hugh can supply all the power supply components except for a few parts:
(1) the transformer - Avel Lindberg give great service on supplying these (Follow Hugh's recommendation and use 2 160VA units)
(2) wire
(3) power switch and indicator lamp
(4) probably need a couple of terminal strips and spade connectors to make things easy to assemble/take apart
(5) case - Hugh has recommendations. You can build the amp easily into a 2U (3.5" high) 19" chassis or very easily into a 3U chassis.

If you want any more detail email me at diyaudio@tovell.org

I'll give advice freely - just accept that is worth no more than the price paid :)

I am interested in doing the same thing as you. I have built speakers and would like to try my hand at a power amp. Where can I get the kits for this amp? Is there a web page with more info? I must say that I have been hesitant about building an amp because I don't have much electronics experience. This might sound silly but I don't really understand what a power supply for one of these things consists of. My only experience with power supplies is in assembling computers. Any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.