Sub amp not working - please help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask for advice regarding my broken subwoofer plate amp - which [unfairly :) ] is just not working! The fault comes after modding by adding 4x10,000uf caps, each of which was wired in parallel to an original corresponding 4,700uf cap.

The fault is this:
Power comes on, controls seem to work ok i.e. turning up the volume increases noise from the drive unit. However, the signal from the hi *or* low-level input doesn't seem to be getting through.

I am convinced the fault is not specifically with my caps, but with something I've knocked or somehow upset - I just don't know what!

Has anyone else had a similar problem, or any clue as to what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Simon

ps - I can post pictures of the boards if anyone would like

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check all around for blown components, certainly tomorrow - it's 3.30am here :)

However, can we assume for now nothing has blown or melted, as I'm fairly sure everything *looks* fine?

Also, and I should have said this originally, but a few days before this mod I put in a 22nf film cap across each 4,700uf original, and I had exactly the same problem after doing that. The only difference was...I disconnected and left the pre-amp board out, went to bed, and reconnected it the next day, and it worked!!!

This time though, no joy, no nothing... at least below ~50hz :)

I have put a multimeter across the caps after disconnecting the power, and they have power stored in them, I don't know if this helps - to be honest, I'm a beginner with this type of mod!

-Simon

ps - I'm glad you like the avatar Peter, I was actually thinking of losing it - 'cause it looks so weird! Those caps there are 8uf 600v LCR (iirc), and they sound lovely :)

Connection to it is definately fine, I've tried one or both channels of hi-level and even connected the ends to a normal speaker - it was fine of course. I also tried the low-level from the LFE channel on my AV amp.

All the connectors seem fine also, before taking them off the 1st time I marked them with an indellible pen to be sure of putting them back right.

It seems as if the problem is the connection somewhere between the input board and the pre-amp board, *or* some kind of protection circuit, or something!

SimontY said:

It seems as if the problem is the connection somewhere between the input board and the pre-amp board, *or* some kind of protection circuit, or something!

It seems like that. The best would be to use test signal and a scope to check it. If you don't have a scope you might try using piece of wire, while holding it in your hand, and by touching different areas of a circuit listen to a noise in a speaker. Try to decrease the volume as not to cause any damage to speakers and in this way you might be able to locate wich stage in your circuit is not working.

Thanks again, that's an idea I will try tomorrow. Just for fun, I suppose, here is a pic of the 'power amp' board, with the pre-amp board not connected.

-Simon

Attachments

• powerb.jpg
    powerb.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 114
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.