Is this possible

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey,
just a quick question tae people who may know. Is it possible to break a HIFI amplifier, for a stereo system, through cutting one of the speaker wires whist it is in use, lets say at high volume. If I was to use a steel handles knife would I receive an electric shock, and also would the amplifier break or would it then continue to work for sometime before breaking. Lets assume that the cut would be made cleanly and quickly through a fairly thin wire.

We don't have enough information to be able to make a comment.
(i) it depends on the protection circuitry in the amp.
(ii) it depends on the power rating of the amp and how much is being used at the time.
(iii) you have not indicated whether you are cutting ONE strand of a stereo pair or BOTH parts of the cable........

My apolgies, I am a bit oot of my depth, but I will try and answer this.

The amp only had two speakers connected to it, one of which was cut off. Through both wires connected to that speaker.

The amp is just a basic house stereo vaiety so would be between 50 and 100 watts, I am not at home tae check but can later

I am not sure what protection curcuitry the amp would have, however I believe that if there is protection curcuitry and this was damaged then the amp would stop working straight away. Would this be true. Alos is it standard to have protection curcuitry in a basic form of amp.

So having cut the wire on a single speaker, and the amplifier has worked for a few hours, and then broken, is it most probable that it has been overdriven afterwards, too much gain and bass boost which would then cause it to break, probably through overheating.

So as it was working afterwards would it be true to say that it could have broken through over powering the amp, by playing it at full gain and bass boost, maybe through overheating. Also if I take it tae a man tae fix will they be able tae tell me if the amp has been overpowered or if the protection circuitry has been damaged

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.