Best of eBays chinese offerings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
personally, i have bought some 2sk389s for a nice price from chinese seller in ebay. tested them to be the genuine. chinese ebay shipping costs are usually more realistic. for many purchases from other areas of the world, i realise that shipping costs are usually over exaggerated, evident from the postage they actually paid as indicated on the arrived packages.

I hoped this thread would be slightly more positive.

I can understand that there are a lot of fakes and bad copies, but this isn't true of all chinese made products, and im sure it can't be true of all the clones/copies not to mention the original products found on eBay.

I have read that eBay doesn't take a cut of the shipping costs, which makes it an easier way to increase the cost and decrease eBays margins.

Scott, who was your friend in Shanghai, i can't see a link or name?

So if anyone has bought any exceptionally good products please post and rate.

What I find inspiring is that, with the Internet, a Chinese student can enter the world market.

"cnx" (apparently he has little better english and is the "communicator") and his brother (apparently a little more technical) are selling amplifier boards and such for over a year, here, on diyaudio.com. I am particularly interested in his amps based on the National Semi's LME series. His circuits are derived from NS app. notes (with maybe an improvement?) and I know that Nat. Semi. (a good friend was a NS audio engineer) is perfectly happy when someone makes boards based on their app. note schematics. No IP issues here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...audio-amplifier-kits-modules-many-others.html

I wish I could report personal experience, but I was lay-off right when I was about to buy some modules from him. I have just started a new job, so maybe soon.

A while back I did buy a kit to turn a computer CD-ROM into a CD tranport from "bbp".

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/127216-great-cdrom-control-kits-sale.html

It arrived as advertised. He also is doing some interesting work with remote (relay stepped) volume controls as well.

These Chinese college kids are true entrepreneurs; and I think they are the (global) future of DIY. The HeathKit business model didn't survive. Why, I don't know. Maybe too expensive for the kids and the adults lost interest (with computers and all). But I am certain that most of the audio-minded college students in the third-world can't afford American products, but maybe they can scrap up the cash for modules from China (apparently I am in that category as well).

I am also sure that there are Chinese resellers (hucksters to me) as well as genuine entrepreneuers/developers; but caveat emptor. Before buying, I have been tracking the threads of cnx and bbp and they sound like DIY'ers and budding engineers to me.

Last edited:
Those UK based members who find that they have a grudge/complaint against Chinese - or any other seller - other than their fellow countrymen should take legal advice BEFORE posting. To not do so may well leave them open to paying damages under UK defamation law or to conviction under the UK racial discrimination laws.

I agree with Scott that this thread should be closed and would best be removed from the forum. IF anyone has a specific problem which cannot be solved within the ebay/Paypal procedures, there are a few threads here which deal with such matters. I would still caution that the sentence typed in red above may have effect.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
All big companies have their stuff made in China. It is ** to say that they can not produce quality goods. It can be compared with people still believing that german cars are best in quality. We all know that the top 3 are all japanese brands/cars. There is emotions involved in such things that are hard to ignore. I don't like it as well that the electronics industry in my country is wiped out and all knowledge has been sold. But I can not blame it on the chinese as it were europeans that made big bucks with the selling. We call it "flagging out" in dutch which means that dutch companies decide to quit producing here and switch over to production in China. It aren't the chinese people that make these decisions.

If you really think about it you will come to the conclusion that we are in the hands of hedgefunds, shareholders and the like. Nobody cares about the value of labour anymore. It is all about costcutting and shareholdersvalue, return on investement etc. Labourers are a necessary evil. But what if all those labourers become jobless ? What are they going to buy/consume and who will pay for their wellbeing ? It seems we are cutting ourselves in the own fingers by letting all our knowledge flow to the east because of lower costs. We will pay the difference ourselves in the long run anyway.

It may be hard to swallow that we can't compete with chinese production (costs) but the fact is there. We are indeed only resellers or buyers. This battle is lost. We can only try to make better stuff ourselves but it wont be easy with our wages. In fact I think we can only compete by accepting a lower economic level. Something the European Union is busy with for some years now.

I think these matters should be open for discussion and closing this thread serves no purpose.

What I find inspiring is that, with the Internet, a Chinese student can enter the world market.

These Chinese college kids are true entrepreneurs; and I think they are the (global) future of DIY. The HeathKit business model didn't survive. Why, I don't know. Maybe too expensive for the kids and the adults lost interest (with computers and all). But I am certain that most of the audio-minded college students in the third-world can't afford American products, but maybe they can scrap up the cash for modules from China (apparently I am in that category as well).

I am also sure that there are Chinese resellers (hucksters to me) as well as genuine entrepreneuers/developers; but caveat emptor. Before buying, I have been tracking the threads of cnx and bbp and they sound like DIY'ers and budding engineers to me.

It is an inspiring time again for electronics hobbyists as we saw that diminishing over here. I have not seen as much interesting stuff in years since those entrepreneurs sell their goods on Ebay. It is difficult to separate the chaff from the corn but most of the cases I get a nice deal and I receive a good product that I can not buy here for a normal price. Let alone that I can find it at all.

Last edited:
I've bought some good things from China, and also some poor quality stuff, and sometimes it can be hard to know how good quality something is until you have it in your hands.

Forums like this are invaluable however, as you can see someone else's (hopefully unbiased) opinion about the product before buying, which takes some of the guesswork out.

I've bought some nice T-amp PCB's, which can sound very good after a few mods.

I've had mixed luck, but like most things, it depends upon what you are buying, and who from.
I had good luck with a Little Dot product - one of the so called cheap mass produced tube amps. Couldn't care less where it was designed, etc... It sounded great for the price, and I had no problems.
Now I'm going to purchase THIS DAC. I will fully test and evaluate it's specs and capabilities when I get it, but I rather expect it will be a giant killer.

Truly sad to judge a continent by a few resellers on Ebay . The industry I work in (Auto Parts) has been importing parts from China and you place them next to US made parts and sadly our stuff looks like junk. They are capable of producing anything the exporters are asking for, unfortunately most exporters place a higher importance on the lowest cost to maximize there profits than exporting quality products. Japan faced the same problem and now look at the products they produce now. Now look at the population and size China when they do get their act together and say no more junk it scares me they will dominate most markets. Maybe we should send some of our US labor leaders over to China as an equalizer.

Bill

Scott, who was your friend in Shanghai, i can't see a link or name?

So if anyone has bought any exceptionally good products please post and rate.

Sorry guys, he sells art related stuff. Even the best grades of paper need a government seal to guarantee authenticity. Hairy crabs come wrapped with two plastic ties and a special seal. This stuff is mostly local consumption so the problem is not us vs them at all.

I was probably too harsh, but I hate these discussions that skirt dangerously close to racial stereotyping.

The reason Japanese cars are popular now is simple. After the war the original small Nissan engine was an Austin (English) which they built under license and improved by simply making it reliable. Not cheaper (well, a little) and nothing drastic, mainly better workmanship. As English workmanship became worse, and the designs did not improve, Toyota and others took over the market. With fewer cars made, English costs rose, reliability decreased further and even fewer cars sold, so eventually the once dominate industry giants died. Exactly the same happened to motorcycles.
Now look at the US market. The same thing has happened. I recently drove brand new rentals in the US from GM. I would not consider touching them with a barge pole. The Koreans have watched and learnt and are on their way up.
In motorcycles Hartley has survived through excellent marketing, and a limited product for a specific audience. Same for the Italian firms.
The same change as for cars happened in electronics, but now with a deliberate policy by the multi-nationals of building home-grown designs first in Japan, and then in China, because costs were lower, and workmanship better. Increased profits to start with, but eventually causing business failures, and sell-offs to overseas investors.
Why be surprised that China has also learnt, and is starting to design and build their own products? Yes, they started by copying, but this will eventually die out. There are some rip-offs, but these can be found in every county.
We need to learn from history, not just moan about it.

Jims_audio kits

tzeng_albert kits

gigawork kits

All of those sellers are sweet. So far, Ive bought a CS4397 DAC kit, a HDAM-clone preamp, a "Passion 15MK2" amp kit (zero NFB and no voltage gain), an Aleph X pcb set, a Pass BOZ pcb, and MKP10 caps for cheap as hell. They have all been perfect.

I think it is despicable that someone would try and profit out of making an inferior clone of a semiconductor device that ends up wasting someones valuable time and money as well as the possibility of causing catastrophic damage such as a house fire etc.

Such people should be sent to jail.

I know someone who builds commercial grade home theater amps and he won't touch Chinese made parts. Been burnt one to many times and not worth the risk :(

Regards
Trev

Jims_audio kits

tzeng_albert kits

gigawork kits

All of those sellers are sweet. So far, Ive bought ......... an Aleph X pcb set, a Pass BOZ pcb ........ for cheap as hell.

You might be missing the point! These guys are either ripping Nelson off by using his name on their layouts or taking advantage of the pcb design efforts of other DIYers here.

OK, we're never going to stop them but at least look to group buys here or authorised sellers as your first option. Even if it's a few bucks more think about who you want to support.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I know someone who builds commercial grade home theater amps and he won't touch Chinese made parts. Been burnt one to many times and not worth the risk :(

Regards
Trev

Then that person better stops building as nearly all parts are made in China. And if his favorite parts are still made in the USA that company will either go bankrupt or it will have a production facility in China this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.