signal and chassis ground wiring with RCA and XLR - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2009, 08:48 PM   #11
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another concern might be levels. Pro balanced interfaces run 14 db hotter them consumer unbalanced ones. I dont know the DCX or what levels it uses.
Old 6th December 2009, 01:50 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, it is hard to find unbalanced equipment of this type. Many people have used the DCX in the same way as I am to control multiple subs. I have read one or two complaints about the extra gain that the DCX adds, but most seem to find that it works fine. This shouldn't be an issue for me since I can control the sub out level on the receiver as well as output levels on the DCX. There is a moderate impedance mismatch between my receiver sub output (1.2k ohms) and the DCX analog inputs (22k ohms). So, using a transformer on the input might not be such a bad idea. The commercial ones are a bit pricey, though, and I'm a bit concerned about low frequency losses with those. The output impedance of the DCX (160 ohms) and input impedance of the amps (rated only as "up to 600 ohms") are in the same ball park.

I have pretty much decided to keep the signal ground separate form the chassis ground on the amps at this point. If I run into issues I can always connect them, and rewire the interconnects, if necessary.

- Doug

Hide this!Advertise here!