Smouldering Amp, Help pls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building an amp with this circuit, but if I solder the 10 Ohm at the output filter. This resistor got very hot and burned.

Could u pls help.

Attachments

• prob.png
    prob.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 87
The circuit is straight from the STK3042 data sheet. The circuit will be oscillating.
I also suspect you are not using the original transistors specified by the datasheet... or you are using cheap copies of them. The circuit's compensation would most likely need to be altered in this case.

The capacitor becomes a short ciruit at very high frequencies and passes all the power to the 10 ohm resistor and cooks it.

Normal audio has little long term high frequencies so doesnt upset the zobel network.

It sounds like what is happening is the output is overshooting and oscilating.
This means you need some negative feedback in the system somewhere to compensate.

I have had this trouble in a couple of my designs and a 220pf feeding from a collector to a base has killed the oscilation stone dead.

I also found the problem in a quasi setup and again a 220pf was required from a collector a to a base to fix it.

If these caps are already in your amp then it is likely there is feedback somewhere else that is not quite right.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.