Intel CPU heatsinks as power output transistor heatsinks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whats the opinion here about recycling redundant cylindrical INTEL CPU heatsinks in DIY amplifiers?

I love the shape of these heatsinks and think they will look funky mounted on top of the enclosure. One can even use the fan to aid cooling.

Each output device can have its own heatsink.

fan_s775.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
With a fan these can dissipate around 100 watts but its a bit noisy :rolleyes:
Without a fan they are not very efficent as the fin size and spacing are designed for forced air cooling.

I have used similar aluminium ones (with fan) for an adjustable PSU with 3055's bolted to the sinks, Uses a temp. sensor to drive the fan to keep the noise down :D been reliably in use for many years.

Also been used for lowpower chipamps (5/12 watt channel) without fans, Handy source of cheap heatsinks ;)

With a fan these can dissipate around 100 watts but its a bit noisy :rolleyes:
Without a fan they are not very efficent as the fin size and spacing are designed for forced air cooling.

I have used similar aluminium ones (with fan) for an adjustable PSU with 3055's bolted to the sinks, Uses a temp. sensor to drive the fan to keep the noise down :D been reliably in use for many years.

Also been used for lowpower chipamps (5/12 watt channel) without fans, Handy source of cheap heatsinks ;)

They tend to be a bit too small for my amps, I usually go for 600watts plus.
I do use PC cases tho for their mountings for fans and mains sockets etc.

Spiny is correct.

One way to minimize the fan noise is to come up with a circuit that will start the fan, then drop the voltage to keep it just barely turning. Most 12V fans will stay running with as little as 5V, and will be practically inaudible. Then use the temp sesnsor to ramp up the fan as needed.

Hi deltavektor

If you've got a spare copper-core, I'd be interested in recycling it into my PC.
(if you're anywhere near Cape Town, that is)
</OT>

These Intel HSF's have a built-in speed-controller, hence the 4 wires: +12V, earth, control and speed-sense. I forget exactly what the control signal looks like, but I think it's something you could generate quite easily with a 555.

Cheers - Godfrey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.