Problems in Onkyo receiver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Problems in Onkyo receiver

Last week I brought to Brazil a receiver I bought in the USA.

Yesterday I started my connection procedures, and to my unpleasant surprise there seems to be some problem.

The unit doesn't seem to disengage from the "Stand-by" state, which the lit red led shows.

As there's no valid warranty here and it's unthinkable to send it back to the USA for that (weight is more than 40 lbs.), I consider having a look myself to perhaps see what might be happening.

I already opened the unit just to see if there was any apparent problem, but the fuses seem to be fine. There's a 12A fuse before the main tranformer and two 15As after it.

There's a relay after the AC input, apparently controlled by a small transformer that must be part of the Stand-by circuitry. It's a pity I couldn't get a service manual yet, and don't know if I will get one shortly.

From my measurements, the relay is energized at the AC input, but presently it seems to be cutting the AC flow. What to do about that seems to be the thing to solve. There might be a permanent problem which sets it off, or a problem that set it off and it can't come back from. Once again, not looking at the circuit makes this a guessing exercise.

Maybe some of you, experienced in Onkyo or similar units, might tell me what might be happening.

There's no official Onkyo rep here, just some people that repair them. But I would like to go to them as an absolutely last recourse, as they might charge me half of what I paid for the receiver just to change a single part worth a few cents.

Last edited by carlmart; 18th November 2009 at 10:39 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!