diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Amplifier AVR200 seems to have a problem (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/155223-amplifier-avr200-seems-have-problem.html)

Geoffroy 17th November 2009 11:59 PM

Amplifier AVR200 seems to have a problem

Good evening to all,

I don't know much about amplification but can do a bit of soldering and basic measurements with a multimeter.

I have been given an Arcam AVR200 amplifier which works fine until it starts heating up a bit. At that point, the left channel simply becomes much lower volume than the right one which I interprete to be due to overheating and the amp might wait for the channel to cool down. But this is my interpretation and the user manual does not say much about anything really.

Trying to investigate a bit I noticed there is a fan at the back of the amp and I would hope this fan would kick in to create an air movement but it does not. Could it be this? Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

If it has to be dumped I will have a lot of joy keeping some of the pieces for other simple projects :D

Thx for your help.

Cheers

Geoff

Iain McNeill 18th November 2009 02:02 AM

Does anything get hot? Can you feel the heat thermals over any devices?

Sounds like the thermal compensation is shot. When it heats up the bias dies. Is the sound distorted on that channel or just quiet?

Try and get some schematics and a meter. Comparing the good channel to the bad will reveal what's up.

Geoffroy 18th November 2009 08:23 AM

Good morning Neil,

Thank you replying yesterday night!

Yes the amp gets hot to touch (but not burning) and the signal is just faint (sometimes too faint to hear) but not distorted it seems.

Where can I get schematics/documentations? I found website proposing to sell them but they are expensive and look dodgy really.........

Geoffroy 20th November 2009 02:11 PM

Up Up! Can anyone help with this?

Cheers

Geoffroy

Iain McNeill 20th November 2009 03:37 PM

Is it similar to this model:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...ml#post1857926

If so maybe ZepofLed could let you know where he got schematics. But if the manufacturer won't sell/give you them then the only other option I know is the pay-sites you mention. I've used them in the past with success but they are a bit pricy.

Geoffroy 23rd November 2009 12:02 AM

Good evening Iain!

I found a site where you can register for 5 bucks and get the schematics so it was ok. I haven't spent time looking into details but I found the temperature sensor on the heatsink (They write 100 oC but do not say if this is the max temperature or is a minimum temperature for it to react), I have also found from where the fan should be run (its electrical supply). This is only on one board (I think there is a board for the front/stereo and another one for surround and the thermal control is on the main stereo board). That's about all I can say right now. Should I test the sensor etc.. ? I will look into this during the week. If you want more info, can we discuss this in PM? I'm thinking about the fact that I probably cannot post the schematics here, can I?

I hope this is a small issue and can be solved after a few days of work as I would bad trashing it as it seems of OK build quality compared to others really :o)

Thank you again for your advice so far.

Cheers

Geoffroy

OXAUDIO 26th February 2014 08:14 AM

If anyone is still looking for a schematic/service manual for the AVR200, the manual for this, and many other makes & models of HiFi can be obtained for free from HiFi Engine. (Google for url ) The only restriction, AFAIK, is that no commercial use of the data provided is permitted, so the manuals must not be reproduced elsewhere or sold on.