Does anyone have some idea about Rega Elex amplifer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2003, 09:48 AM   #1
wbhifi is offline wbhifi  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to wbhifi
Question Does anyone have some idea about Rega Elex amplifer?

I wonder which kind of output transistors are used in this amp? I searched the threads and got some information on the similar amp, Rega Brio, which uses MJE3055/2955 ( that's amazing! )
I guess the bigger brother Elex may use the same transistors, can anyone give me some info. ?
Old 27th May 2003, 06:15 PM   #2
2002tii is offline 2002tii  Norway
diyAudio Member

The Elex uses 2SA1216 and 2SC2922.
Great amp by the way!
It`s just a poweramplifier with a volumepotmeter in front.
Old 3rd June 2003, 06:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, Dan, actually, my concern is about Elex, and I got it yesterday, which is quite a powerful amplifer even with a thin body. I opened the enclosure and found that the output transistors are Sanken A1186/C2837, smaller than A1216/C2922, but they also sound very musical. I think the latter ones are used in Elicit, a 70w/c on 8 ohm amplifer .
PS. , the components in Elex are not bad, Alps 27 (blue plastic case) pot and Alps switch, audio-grade capacitors and resistors, and the most exciting one is the transformer, which was produced by the factory supplying to Naim amp.
Old 4th June 2003, 05:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Now when you say it, I also tought that Elex used some other transistor than the SA1216/SC2922 pair.

Hmm, maybe I looked in the wrong schematics?
I know that Elicit use the SA1216/SC2922 pair, (and the same printed circuit board as the Elex!).
The only big difference between Elex and Elicit is 1 vs 2 powersupply trafo, 20.000uF vs 88.000uF and as you say other output transistors.

Elex has one little capacitor in the signal path, 1uF, right before or after the volumepot.
I guess you can make Elex sound better if you exchange it with a better one. That`s the only place I can remember any "bad" parts in the signal path.
I`m not sure if Elicit have this cap?
I think maybe Elicit has a DC servo instead?

I don`t have the schematics in front of me, so this is from my memory...

Elex sounds great, it`s weird to hear such a cheap and small amplifier sound that good. I used to get the comment "Is that the amplifier, it looks like a toy"...
Old 6th June 2003, 07:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Dan.
I am trying to figure out the topology of the circuit of Elex, but find that it uses some one not often seen.
You mentioned you might have the schematic of Elicit, could you email one to me?
Also, I notice that the coupling capacitors are film type, not very bad, but the input stage ues 4 TL071's, not very hi-end opamp, so I'm gonna replace them with op627, which is a high-graded opamp. I am expecting the surprise.
Old 11th June 2003, 05:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I can e-mail you the schematics for the Elex (that`s the amp you got, right?), but I have to scan them first.

I thought those TL071 was in the tape loop?
Don`t think they are in the "ordinary" signal path, only when using rec out.

You`ll see when you get the schematics ;-)
Old 11th June 2003, 07:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot, Dan, pls email to me
wbhifi@yahoo.com
hphones:
Old 11th June 2003, 06:43 PM   #8
stigla is offline stigla  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PS. , the components in Elex are not bad, Alps 27 (blue plastic case) pot and Alps switch, audio-grade capacitors and resistors, and the most exciting one is the transformer, which was produced by the factory supplying to Naim amp.
When I opened up my brother's Elex (great amp, eh? I love the good and warm middle and nice rounded highs!) to look out for possible upgrades, I was really surpriced by the avarage good component quality.

The only thing I was really surpriced over was the "sanwa" electrolytics widely used in the amp. I have only before seen these caps in cheap radios and video-players and they are as far as I know not audio grade... (and yet the amp sounds terrific). (same types are used in the Planet, and we substituted the two outputcaps with SANYO OS-CON audio caps with great results!)

A funny thing; I spotted that the Elex obiously uses the same PCB as the Elicit because there are room for a second Transformer and also 2 extra PSU caps and rectifiers etc. So my brother contacted our local distributor and managed to get hold of an extra Elex trafo for a very nice price of 58$ !!! So now we will be upgrading to dual mono as soon as the frafo arrives in the mail!!

Other upgrades will possibly involve:

- Input cap. change to a better type, or complete removal.
- Emitter reisistors of outputstage (cheap WW) to better (Caddocks?).
- Sub. the "sanwa" caps to better types at selected places. (PSU decoupling and feedback loop etc.)
- Faster rectifier diodes.
- maybe elevate the bias current a little bit when we have installed the second transformer. (around 25-30mA I think it is now).

The regulator for the Pre-section is also pretty interesting.
Old 11th June 2003, 08:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Hey Dan,
Why donīt you just post the schematic here???
Old 12th June 2003, 05:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I don`t think my "source" would like that.

Second, I have not used my homepage space so I have no idea on how to publish pictures, of course thats no big deal to learn but I have`nt got there yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!