DIY speaker cable question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did use wire cutters, the black ones in one of the pics, was just a little scared to cut through into the copper, so scored it and the kinda tore it off. It is wrapped up in electrical tape.

After cutting 48x 1mm cables for one end, i must say my patience became a little frayed.

Ok what the f.

No one was in the house so i turned up the volume a bit, a slight burning rubber smell was coming from the Cambridge Audio amp. Freaked out, turned it all off. When all back on, the was an occasional poping sound, like the crackle of an old vinyl.

More importantly the sound from the right mid was transfering to the left;

Setup is:
Source - Cambridge Audio 640A v2 - Behringer DCX2496 - Rotel 6 channel amp-2x2ways and a sub.

First thing i changed was my new 4 strand Cat6 for the old cable to the left mid and the problem is solved!

How did the speaker cable cause the crossover from left to right channel?

The two strand cat6 cable for the tweeter seems to be fine

It was quite drastically quieter than the old cable, too much copper?

Ok what the f.

No one was in the house so i turned up the volume a bit, a slight burning rubber smell was coming from the Cambridge Audio amp. Freaked out, turned it all off. When all back on, the was an occasional poping sound, like the crackle of an old vinyl.

More importantly the sound from the right mid was transfering to the left;

Setup is:
Source - Cambridge Audio 640A v2 - Behringer DCX2496 - Rotel 6 channel amp-2x2ways and a sub.

First thing i changed was my new 4 strand Cat6 for the old cable to the left mid and the problem is solved!

How did the speaker cable cause the crossover from left to right channel?

The two strand cat6 cable for the tweeter seems to be fine

It was quite drastically quieter than the old cable, too much copper?

Did you check your cables that you just made with a meter for shorts before you tried them ? :xfingers::xfingers::xfingers::xfingers:

Well, this is kinda funny. I made a set of these exact cables (3 pairs of Cat5e braided) and I'm using a 1970's Rotel RX550 amp. I used the pin-type connectors to hook up to the amp, which wasn't a great idea as the springs on the amp don't hold them in too well. One slipped, and touched the one next to it and I blew a fuse, but not just blew, this puppy REALLY lit up. I replaced it and all has been fine, but I've shorted speaker cables before and never had one go like that. Normally I wouldn't think anything of it, but after reading your story...

I replaced the fuse and everything has been fine since then, so maybe it was just a coincedence.

They were working ok. only had the left channel made.

Even if it had shorted, would that loop round and send the signal to the other channnel?

The more i think about it the more it seems like its the Cambridge audio (using just as pre-amp). It was only at 12 O'clock, and there aren't any speakers attached, did however disable the auto-clipping function.

There are so many elements that could go wrong.

Plugged CD player direct into Behringher, all good.

The Cambridge Audio is kaput.

Has anyone ever bought a new item, and taken the old one back in the new box? I have never see anyone check serial numbers.

it's called being dishonest.! I saw it lots at my old work, instead of being a coward, it is nicer to just go to the shop and say i blew it up, how much is it to fix, instead of returning it and lie to them.

Why not fix it your self ?

I am emailing them now about fixing it.

The honest route would be the first, and i would rather not commit fraud, the first unit i had went pop(replaced under warranty), and i had trouble with this one earlier in the year. If i wanted peace of mind i should have bought the extended warranty, i would expect a £300 amp to last longer than 3yrs though.

If the amp speaker output caused it break when it was at 12 O'clock, I would rather buy a proper pre-amp capable of doing what i need, and perhaps sell this for spares/repairs.

Amp turns on, seems to work for a few minutes then the sound becomes distorted and compressed, the channels seem to get mixed up, right and left through both.

I plugged the cd player straight into the DCX, which goes into the power amp, and it all seems fine. Just incase i'm back to using old cables.

I have disabled the 'clipping' function for some time on the amp, like i said earlier it smelt like burning rubber today when it was just past half volume(near the speaker terminal posts/transformer), i have had it louder in the past. Bearing in mind you can't disconnect the speaker output, so it is still producing 75w into the terminals.

If it was under stress i'm surprised the cap5 protection didn't kick in.

Ill dig out my old speakers and plug then into the terminals and see if the distortion runs through to the speakers. Using the headphone out seems fine.

If you can recommend anything to try, would be much appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.