Bad day to be a capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A buddy at work gave me a SoundTech mixer/amp to take a look at because it stopped working. The fuse was good but no continuity to the power transformer. The power switch is intermittent but luckily its a DPDT switch and only one side is wired. But anyhow when I started looking over the main amplifier board I spotted this freaky looking cap. The insides just look exploded out :yuck: A nearby wire has the insulation charred black from the heat!

capfront.jpg

capback.jpg

Hopefully the blown cap and bad power switch are all thats wrong with this thing...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi astouffer,
Cool, a capacitor wearing a "dunce hat".

I've seen many like this over the years. Your power switch is probably the fault, but some power supply components may have suffered from the high noise coming from the arcing power switch.

What really helps is an MOV placed across the transformer primary. Right across the leads. If it shorts, the fuse will blow. The MOV will clamp the voltage spikes occurring when you turn the unit off. This will greatly prolong the life of the switch contacts.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.