Wildcard Power Amp dev. thread (SMD, Quasi NMOS, IRFP260, digital bias) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2009, 12:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wildcard Power Amp dev. thread (SMD, Quasi NMOS, IRFP260, digital bias)

I've been thinking about a quasi complementary NMOS amplifier with digitally controlled bias for quite som time now and here is my first preliminary schematic.

I'm a bit curious about what you have to say about D1, D2, D3 and D4. Do you see any problems with them connected like that?

The uC that will do the monitoring will use the -V rail as ground and a separate 5V/3.3V supply. The output bias will be set with V3 (one of the uC DAC:s) and read back by measuring the voltage over R20, R21, R24 and R25. Some op-amps for amplification/attenuation and differential amplification will be needed but are not currently in the schematic.

The quiescent current will be monitored and adjusted continuously for thermal tacking. The method I was thinking to use is simply to measure the voltage over the source resistors in the crossover point (when the voltage over the high side resistors equals the low side resistors) and then calculate the current (with some averaging).

Are there any other smart methods to measure the quiescent current with signal applied? Maybe measure the RMS power in the speaker and the total RMS power and from the difference get the quiescent current?
But this should only work when the signal is a sinusoid or some other known signal? Or am I wrong here?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WildcardAmp.pdf (18.8 KB, 295 views)
Old 16th May 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

go to post #40 about
Only N-Channel MOSFETs (NMOS); better Audio from non complements by Audio Power?
and check out the last two URL's
Old 16th May 2011, 08:57 PM   #3
effebi is offline effebi  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfo098 View Post
Are there any other smart methods to measure the quiescent current with signal applied? ?
You may use a VERY low pass filter.

Hide this!Advertise here!