Preamp response curve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm prototyping a preamp using a pair of OPA604's (buffer and gain stage) and I can't quite seem to get the response curve right. I first tried it with a perfectly flat curve and it sounded terrible and then with a shallow roll off that was -3db at 2kHz which sounded much better but still wasn't quite right.

Is there an industry standard frequency response for home audio gear? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to what the frequency response should look like?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Andrew. I originally tried it completely flat between 3HZ and 150kHz and it sounded completely wrong, which lead me to believe that recording studios must manipulate the sound so that high frequencies are louder by comparison.

Maybe I'll use my signal gen and oscilloscope to see how other hifi amps respond

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.