A&R Cambridge A60 Amp left channel very low distorted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks I am new to this forum.
I have an old A&R Cambridge amp, the faults it is currently displaying are:-

1 Noisy operation of volume control
2 Very low output from left channel ( if you turn up the volume the sound produced is very distorted).

At first this would only happen after a few hours operation, now its permanent. I suspect something has overheated but can't see any evidence of this when I look inside the amp.
Anyone care to offer advice on how to fix this?

I've just taken the amp out of storage it hasn't been used for the last 15 years

regards

Barry

Arcam will quite happily send you the schematics of the amp if you ask them to. They're great in this regard! Make sure you tell them your serial number so they can tell you the correct schematic to use.

If memory serves, a common failure is a muting FET, which causes these symptoms. There are a few different versions of the amp so you need to find out which one you have.

The noisy volume control is most likely as simple as the volume pot being dirty or worn. A replacement pot should be easy enough to get.

Hi Jaycee,
Thanks for the advice, I tried to contact arcam via email from their website, all I got back was an out of office auto reply stating they would deal with my inquiry as soon as they could.
I have now fixed my amp one of the power transistors was faulty I replaced all four just to be sure and ajusted the quiescent current. The amp is now sounding wonderfull.

Thanks for your advice

Barry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.