Need Better power amp for active x'over.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi friends
I have decided to make an active crossover setup for my personal listening.
I prefer good vocal and clean deep bass sound for classical music after many times spending to searching thousand of amp circuits for my amp I cannot decide to select an amp circuit.becaouse of I have already make several circuits but not satisfied. I Decide to make 2Way system; maybe amp output power shoud have 25 to 50 watts. If any friend have any practical knowledge or satisfied with active crossover power amp circuit pls help to build my dream sound. I have marchand 2-way x'over circuit.

thanks
Ataul

I would prefer for the upper frequency aera so called "Single Ended" power amplifier, e. g. "ZEN" or "Aleph" (check out basic article by Pass Labs: Audio reproduction done right.)
For the lower frequency aera I would prefer the DOZ for the midrange, go to Death of Zen - A new Class-A power amp
(all this amps runs in "Pure Class A")
and below 500 Hz the "blameless Amplifier" from Douglas Self
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/64746-blameless-amp-layout.html
this should be run at Class AB, i. e. 20-50mA idle current through the output

Relative power depends on XO frequency, slope and relative efficiency of the drivers. Rod Elliot says if you cross at 300 Hz, you fairly evenly split the power requirement.

I'm using equal power available for convenience, an A-75 per channel. Overkill on the top end crossing at 1500 Hz. I'd like to see 30-60W minimum for the tweeter, but I like lots of headroom. Unless you are using very efficient drivers, 50W is nowhere near enough for the woofers if you want to avoid clipping and be able to play loudly once in a while.

Take a look at the Leach amp. It will give you around 125W as designed, but is somewhat scalable to lower and higher rails. It is a very nice sounding amp, especially Jens' version.

Last edited:
Normally you'd put the most power to the woofers, but I like clean vocals and they can really sop it up in the midrange. Thus, for a 3-way system I have an old Marantz 250 that I fixed up powering the Dynaudio 5" mids (125x2), a diy Tiger amp for the bass (60x2), and a diy thing based on a Motorola app note for the tweeters, probably 50x2.

If I were building from scratch, I'd go with the blameless design for both woofers and mids, then maybe a modest class A for the tweeters. If I were on a strict budget, I'd have no problem using the National power amp chips. I also use the Marchand crossover boards and am extremely pleased with them.

I find a 3-way system is very tolerant of amps, cables and all the rest. Nothing in the power chain is being asked to do anything terribly difficult, so even modest equipment does very well.

Best,
CH

Thanks all for advice,Mr.tiefbassuebrtr yes I agree with u I build an aleph 30 and play with aleph p preamp with cherio tower speaker really it is very musical sound one of the best ever I heared.but it has some disadvantage it need very large heat sink. I am using 12x10x1.5inch heat sink per channel but not sufficient after 30 minuets it needs force cooling by air flow and my 15x9x10 feet room become hot environment after 2 hours music playing, although I love it, because of my dream sound. I have no room air cooler.
MR, Conrad H thanks for your advice Ic chip power amp may be good pls tell me the chip number which u are using for your active crossover sound system,

best regard
Ataul..

Thanks all for advice,Mr.tiefbassuebrtr yes I agree with u I build an aleph 30 and play with aleph p preamp with cherio tower speaker really it is very musical sound one of the best ever I heared.but it has some disadvantage it need very large heat sink. I am using 12x10x1.5inch heat sink per channel but not sufficient after 30 minuets it needs force cooling by air flow and my 15x9x10 feet room become hot environment after 2 hours music playing, although I love it, because of my dream sound. I have no room air cooler.
MR, Conrad H thanks for your advice Ic chip power amp may be good pls tell me the chip number which u are using for your active crossover sound system, best regard Ataul..

cherio tower speaker? I have never heard about this brand and I don't find informations on the web.
Do you mean the Italian brand "Chario" like this?
Chario Loudspeakers Academy Sovran Speaker - AVReview News and comment
Please let me know the exactly loudspeaker model, then I can give more exactly advices regarded optimal amplifier choices.

how much is in your music room the ambient temperature?

Linkwitz uses the LM3886 for some of his projects, which is good for 50-60W with proper heat sinks. You'll need sinks, but nowhere near what you would for an Aleph.

Boards are available from a number of sources, like DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information., but you can also build it without a board fairly easily. The Chipamp.com kit is nicely done (I built one) and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
Normally you'd put the most power to the woofers, but I like clean vocals and they can really sop it up in the midrange. Thus, for a 3-way system I have an old Marantz 250 that I fixed up powering the Dynaudio 5" mids (125x2), a diy Tiger amp for the bass (60x2), and a diy thing based on a Motorola app note for the tweeters, probably 50x2.

If I were building from scratch, I'd go with the blameless design for both woofers and mids, then maybe a modest class A for the tweeters. If I were on a strict budget, I'd have no problem using the National power amp chips. I also use the Marchand crossover boards and am extremely pleased with them.

I find a 3-way system is very tolerant of amps, cables and all the rest. Nothing in the power chain is being asked to do anything terribly difficult, so even modest equipment does very well.

Best,
Thanks all for advice,Mr.tiefbassuebrtr yes I agree with u I build an aleph 30 and play with aleph p preamp with cherio tower speaker really it is very musical sound one of the best ever I heared.but it has some disadvantage it need very large heat sink. I am using 12x10x1.5inch heat sink per channel but not sufficient after 30 minuets it needs force cooling by air flow and my 15x9x10 feet room become hot environment after 2 hours of music playing, although I love it, because of my dream sound. I have no room air cooler.
MR, Conrad H thanks for your advice Ic chip power amp may be good pls tell me the chip number which u are using for your active crossover sound system and its may be
my 2nd setup with active crossover sound system by your help.

best regard
Ataul..

CH

Oh, I think he was just bumping to get me to tell what op-amps I use in the crossovers. Back when I got them there were several choices, depending on how much one wanted to spend. I was hoping to ignore the thread, because I have to move a small table and see if the crossover has enough service loop in the back to pull it out and get the lid off. Then I can see what I used, since memory completely fails me. Maybe later this afternoon!

cherio tower speaker? I have never heard about this brand and I don't find informations on the web.
Do you mean the Italian brand "Chario" like this?
Chario Loudspeakers Academy Sovran Speaker - AVReview News and comment
Please let me know the exactly loudspeaker model, then I can give more exactly advices regarded optimal amplifier choices.

how much is in your music room the ambient temperature?

thanks MrTiefbssuebrts for reply

My room normal temperature is 28 to 32 centigrade. my speaker model is chario Synter 200 tower the Italian brand this model is now obsolute.its look like chario hyper 200

Ataul

Hi Ataul,
what is your comment?

Thanks for joining with us Mr.AndrewT

Active crossover sound system is very interesting matter. somebody like this system and somebody not.If any person succesfully able to match all setup i think it will be the best system.thats why I trying to understand from the friends whats type of power amp and X'over and many other things about active crossover sound system is perfect

thanks
Ataul

only if the woofer needs extra drive due to a lower sensitivity.
If both drivers have the same sensitivity, then both need the same voltage drive to achieve the same peak transient signals in their respective passbands.

exactly why im only running 2 15 watt amplifiers per speaker, mini a's im running matched drivers ( not manufacture ) but spl and efficancy 91's for the ribbons and 91 for the mid bass 6.5"

Love it, so many people need to have HUGE power amplifiers and i have these tiny little things and such free and clan sound.

J'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.