Help with a foolish question- technics se-m100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I hope I have this right- I am new to this! I am dusting off my electronics by rebuilding an old technics se-m100 power amplifier (1989) as a practice run (before upgrading my marantx cd-80). I bought this very cheaply, but it sounds rather thin compared to my old sugden's! I have had difficulty getting exact capacitor matches for the electrolytics in terms of voltage (not capacitance). I have ended up having to use 10v or 16v capacitors, in place of originals rated at 6.3v. Equally I have had to replace capacitors rated at 25v with those at 35v. They are nearly all in the signal path, and so I have used elna cerafines or silmics. Is this going to be OK?- I couldn't see why not, but, am I missing something obvious? In principle it is quite a nice amp (dual mono, big power supplies), so even though this is a practice run, I don't want to break it! Apologies for the ignorance of the question and thanks for any help! best wishes,
Jo

in audio signals a higher voltage capacitor will be more linear other than that it is also possible that longer life is expected

there is also a question on upgrading all ceramics if existing inside with better quality like multileyer or styroflex or silver micas
sometimes you need to take a look at miller caps in vas and/or driver stages which often if changed to a better quality will also give you a margin to lower capacitance that will increase the quality of your amp dramaticly but will require instuments for evaluation of results

Adding decoupling and byppass will be also a usefull thing to do

may be some more audiophile wiring

here is a link that you might find usefull also

regards sakis

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/136261-vintage-amplifier-repair-upgrade-manual.html

Thanks-you jerluwoo, and thank-you Sakis! I am clear! Thanks also for the brilliant link- I was thinking of getting a PC-based oscilloscope (as the very old Thandor I have inherited has died!). I think that perhaps I shall now save a bit longer for the real thing! I thought that I might need it, as I was quite tempted to eventually change the output transistors like this: View topic - HDT IMPROVED SE-M100 - TECHNICS forum , -but to start with would be happy just to learn a good bit more,- and 370wpc does seem a bit of overkill! Thanks for the advice about the ceramics by the way- I had no idea that this would help. I think that I had better start with the electrolytics, and if I can get it back together and working perfectly again (!), try your idea of silver micas! I'd better buy some big books too, as decoupling and bypass are a bit beyond me at the moment!
Thanks again, bw:)
Jo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.