diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Why do YOU DIY? Answer for my college research paper. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/154340-why-do-you-diy-answer-my-college-research-paper.html)

gripracer 2nd November 2009 05:46 PM

Why do YOU DIY? Answer for my college research paper.

I am writing a massive research paper spanning most aspects of the DIY audio world. I would like to get a few live opinions to put into it.

Answer the following:

1. What is DIY Audio to you?

2. Why do you do it?

I will use your responses to generate some statistics and possibly quote you. By posting in this thread, you agree that me using your username and response would be OK.

Thanks!

Steerpike 2nd November 2009 08:23 PM

(1) not sure yet!
(2) I can make better performing equipment than I can afford to buy; I can make it with exactly the feature I want and none of the gimmicks; I like having a piece of equipment that is unique in appearance; it's satisfying to create a great product from assorted collected surplus & scrap that otherwise has little value.

gainphile 2nd November 2009 08:34 PM

Engineering activity to design and build audio-related equipments, for amusement and fun (ie. not commercial).

2. Why do you do it?
Fun and amusement. And for speakers, there is a lack of commercial product which satisfy my need.

insta 2nd November 2009 08:41 PM

Q: What is DIY Audio to you?
A: I consider DIY to be anything more complex than "open box, remove padding, plug in wires". If that includes premade cabinets, matched drivers and crossovers, and all the equipment -- it still counts, because it requires some amount of effort on my part to assemble it.

Q: Why do you do it?
A: I like to create things. I'm an engineer at heart. Audio lets me enjoy the things I've made a lot more often than, say, a Tesla coil or potato gun.

BudP 2nd November 2009 08:42 PM

1. An opportunity to solve problems that have arisen in my own private work in audio related activities. These typically are not widely recognized problems, though quite apparent once you know of them, and the solutions I come up with are rarely found within mainstream physics, which does delight me.
2. A restless desire to hear musical beauty without having to involve crowds of people.

Bud

Jonathan Bright 2nd November 2009 09:01 PM

Q.1 Not sure of Ans' to that yet. Will try and get back to you with a more reflective response. Number two is easier.

Q. 2. I like to be creative. I work with spoken words for a living (Clergyman/pastor/minister/priest....whatever!) and people who earn their living by speaking (Teachers/clergy/politicians etc) produce very little of a tangible nature in their professional lives. Most of these people are more productive in their hobbies or spare time: they tend to do "physical" things. As a species we probably need to make things.
Secondly it is cheaper.
Thirdly, I guess we think it will be better than the bought product! I mind what I hear. I like to get it right.
Fourthly it can be tailor made to our specific circumstances.
Fifthly, to enjoy music.
Sixthly, we get bragging rights!

I like the idea of what you're doing: interesting. Will you share the results with the forum? I will think a bit more and hope to provide a more considered response later.

Jonathan Bright

Fenris 2nd November 2009 09:04 PM

What is DIY Audio?
Building/enhancing your own gear to be optimal in your own situation. It can be as basic as changing a few components in a commercial product, to as complicated as building a house around your "perfect" setup. For most of us it's somewhere in-between, limited by finances, time, practicality, SAF, and physics.

Why?
1. Better quality at a lower price (depending on my time and what it is valued at).
2. I control the finished product exactly (color, size, cost, features).
3. Pride of creation. I like building stuff, especially if it performs a useful function. And there's something rewarding about taking a fundimental force of the universe, tearing it apart, re-aligning it 90 degrees, and putting it back together. And people always comment on my setups and it's nice to be able to say "I made that". Not "I bought that", any git with money can do that. And I like to recycle useful things that might otherwise end up in a landfill - the engineer in me recoils at wasting something useful.
4. It's a hobby - it keeps me off the streets and from chasing women (my wife would take a dim view of this)
5. I love to learn. My real hobby is acquiring new skills. I toyed around with electronics and woodworking while growing up, and I can combine the two with speakers and amps. I've gotten to be a much better woodworker and have learned tons of electronic theory (and reality) in the past few years.
6. My Grandfather built an electronic organ into his house (not a toy, a no kidding concert/church quality organ) for my grandmother who was an organist. Thier first house had an actual pipe organ. So I guess some of this audio obsessiveness I get from my family.
7. I like music. I have no talent to play it, that seems to have skipped a generation or two in my family, but I do know how to appreciate it. I like proper sound in movies (clear dialogue, realistic sounds and directionality).

nad 2nd November 2009 09:05 PM

1. I like to think that the 50% when all goes well (and sounds good), will one day surpass the other 50% when it goes bad, very bad and even worse. One day it'll happen?

2. I like 'tinkering'.

Geek 2nd November 2009 09:07 PM

Something you can tailor to YOUR needs, not to those of an engineer's computer program.

2. Why do you do it?
Because I know I can do far better for far cheaper.

Cheers!

Bas Horneman 2nd November 2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Something that occupies my mind. That keeps me hoping, dreaming, planning and building my ultimate music reproduction machine. Which brings me to the music. Always loved music and always wanted to build my own hifi. The 2 are linked but seperate.

Quote:

2. Why do you do it?
Because I can. Because I want to. Because it makes me happy. Because it keeps me sane. Because it drives me nuts. Because I can teach my children soon to also build something. Something tangible and something to be proud of. Something that we can possible share. Because I sure as hell don't share their musical interests.