Why do YOU DIY? Answer for my college research paper. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2009, 10:48 PM   #21
eyoung is offline eyoung  United States
diyAudio Member

#1: Ditto

#2: Ditto

For all the same reasons I love music,I love to listen, I love to Play, and I love to build with my own two hands. It's what keeps me sane(if there is such a thing), and keeps my mind thinking.

Keep on Keeping On, Elwood
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:10 PM   #22
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripracer View Post
2. Why do you do it?

Because hot chicks dig it.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:25 PM   #23
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

I"m like one of those crazy speed freaks that starts takeing appart everything I can find just to see what is inside , Minus the speed of course ....
I guess it is a form of tinkering insanity , and when you actualy create something that works ,sounds great and is unique you sort of redeam your self and think " Im not that crazy after all " , then go an take appart the TV while the wife is watching it .....

Old 3rd November 2009, 11:47 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
I"m like one of those crazy speed freaks that starts takeing appart everything I can find just to see what is inside , Minus the speed of course ....
That's how I started.... I wasn't even in school yet so young, get a Christmas present, played with it for five minutes, get dad's tools and take it apart

Carries through today.... listen to something for an hour... then pull it apart

Cheers!
Old 4th November 2009, 01:24 AM   #25
eyoung is offline eyoung  United States
diyAudio Member

I used to take old TV's and radios apart to see what was in them...You mean I'm not the only one....???

mE
Old 4th November 2009, 02:52 AM   #26
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am writing a massive research paper
1. What is DIY Audio to you?
It's my fix, man! It's about doing something great that no-one around me can, or even understands.

Quote:
I am writing a massive research paper
2. Why do you do it?
Mostly it's about controlling the whole process, start-to-end and being responsible for the ultimate performance. BTW, how the final product looks is of secondary importance to me, except when I'm building it for someone else.

But more than that, I know about how products are designed, what compromises are made, and the actual cost of parts in relation to retail cost and performance (there is no hard and fast rule). So, I reckon, if I'm going to reward myself with good sound, I'd better be there to ensure that I can squeeze the best out of my resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bright View Post
To expand a little on the second Q. In truth, I don't actually DO an enormous ammount of actual DIY audio these days! (I've built a dozen sets of speakers over the years and a few amps.) This is because of time/money contraints: the usual. But I do read and think about audio a lot. This serves a number of functitons. (i) I like to understand things....see how they work. While I can't afford to build massive "no conpromise" systems I like reading about them. (ii) I think the need to understand things meets an emotional need it me. I am more relaxed when I know about the mechanisms underlying things. (iii) I am pretty introverted. (I use that description with the proper, more technical understanding. i.e. introverts gain meaning and energy from their internal world rather than extroverts who are empowered by interacting with the external world. The popular idea that they are "quiet" or "loud" personalities is wrong and misleading.) So for someone like me who spends a lot of my working life interacting with people the IMPERSONAL world of wood/silicon/metal etc is an important part of the recovery/recreational phase of my day. (iv) paradoixically, having said that I am glad that I have made contact with people thru' this forum.
Good Grief! How many more of me is there on the internet??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bright View Post
"Neuro Linguistic Programming"
Being part of an international community and learning about new things all the time is another aspect of DIY that satisfies me.
Old 4th November 2009, 04:02 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
1. What is DIY Audio to you?
It is a creative outlet and a welcome distraction. I am a conservation biology / vet-med major and DIY gives me something completely different to focus on when I want to take a break. I grew up around electronics, learned to solder and build simple circuits when I was old enough to stand at the bench with my dad. After high school I took a different path because it was where my heart was. DIY audio has given me a way to reconnect with my dad, with that part of my youth, and maybe with something I forgot about. I enjoy the challenge and more so, I enjoy the end result.

Quote:
2. Why do you do it?
I would say that right now the number one reason is that I am poor, but...
I love music and I love the tinkering. My allegiance lies with tubes and high efficiency speakers, lately I have been tinkering with simple Nelson Pass inspired circuits. I like the challenge of making something as simple as possible, but no more. I love that feeling you get when you hear all your favorite music for the first time through a new build, and it is really like your first time. I love when you are playing something in the background and all of a sudden it just grabs you and sucks you in. I love the 3:00AM listening sessions under the glow of the tubes, THAT is the best. Eyes closed, just out there in the ether, you get those little chills down your back. I love switching on a new creation for the first time and it works! I am sure every DIYAudio person has felt it before. It is almost like I am 10 again on Christmas morning, I run and grab my girlfriend all giddy and excited. Especially when you switch it on and wonderful music pours forth, that is when your significant other walks in and asks you why you are drooling and not blinking.
I would have to say that there is one reason though that tops them all, and that is the community. I am by no means seasoned, but I try to offer the best and most knowledgeable advice I can. The reason I do this, and the reason I keep learning more so I can do this, is because that is what the people here did when I started. Everyone here is so helpful and friendly, I have always gotten help and encouragement. If for no other reason, one should try DIY just to meet all the great people.

Good luck on the paper and as always, happy listening!

James
Old 4th November 2009, 04:15 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

1. A refusal to accept mass produced garbage.
2. An outlet for my creative side.

Terry
Old 4th November 2009, 04:45 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default what and why

1. DIYA is about understanding your own audio needs and then getting theory and practice enough aligned to yield a satisfying result.
2. I do it because it represents the intersection of engineering (technology) and passion/emotion (music)

I'd like to see your assembled report out when its ready.

JiminRichmond
Old 5th November 2009, 07:40 PM   #30
Banned

Awesome, keep em coming. you are providing me with some excellent information and quoteables.

I will post my paper when it is finished.

Hide this!Advertise here!