Why do YOU DIY? Answer for my college research paper. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2009, 10:24 PM   #11
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripracer View Post
1. What is DIY Audio to you?
A creative way to enjoy music more - I would prefer to be able to play piano like Ray Manzarek or sing like Thijs van Leer, but I'm not. So, the DIYA is the next best thing for me.

Quote:
2. Why do you do it?
For the love of music (and there is always a bit of pride when you build something nice all by yourself)
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Banned

these responses are excellent, thanks for participating so far!
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:17 PM   #13
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Any audio related item, that is made by yourself. Buying your way through doesn't count, as that's just a tad too similar to simply buying a ready made product.

Quote:
2. Why do you do it?

Cause I can have whatever I want then. I get exactly what fits my taste in any aspect.

If I for instance would have to buy a commercial product, I would have to put up with the designers choices, compromises, and so forth.
When I make it myself, IF there is a compromise, I sure know why, and have had a choice.

You can see what I speak of on my website: Class-a-labs.com

Magura
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:49 PM   #14
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

1 What?

To me DIY Audio is, well, a hobby. It's creating something exciting from something as boring as a resistor or a capacitor, held together by molten metal. For me it's not very different from, say, painting, just more abstract.

2 Why?

I have the internets, but, luckily, I don't have TV. When you sit on my couch you see an amp and speakers, that's how my room is arranged. I built these amps and speakers myself and I liked building them. It's keeping the hands busy and it even is creative. Something to tinker with, endlessly.
Also I get to make things that could never be bought (or sold) on the market, not only due to safety regulations. All the parts are matched tighly, by hand, and soldered with great care and joy. Building something almost without compromises.
What I also like very much is having friends visit and listen to the setup, rediscovering a song they/we've heard hundreds of times before.
Old 3rd November 2009, 08:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Somewhere between a hobby and a way of life.

2. Why do you do it?
Because I can, because I know that what I've made is my own, not something there's a million others of, because I honestly believe that I can make things sound good, for less than the cost of buying some speakers (for example, I'm making speakers which use the drive units of a speaker costing £600/pair, and it's cost me 1/4 of that for everything).

Chris
Old 3rd November 2009, 08:15 PM   #16
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

1. creative Universe

2. to be part of Universe
Old 3rd November 2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

1) Part time, non-paying job.

2) Keeps me out of the bar.
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

2. Why do you do it?

1/ Is doing it yourself instead of just taking what is out there.
2/ I can fix anything I have designed myself be it speakers or amplifiers.
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Had a bit of a think after an initial response yesterday (Post #6).

Re: Q1. Don't feel I can add anything constructive to what has already been said. I am not sure if you deliberately made the first Question ambiguous. I notice that some people have responded in a literal, factual way and others in a more viscereal/philosophical manner. (A) I agree with most people's working definition of diyaudio (not very controversial!) and (B) it is an important part of my life but not my God. I reckon it is in the top half-dozen things in my life.

Did you want to refine that Q a bit ....or are you happy to let people interpret it individually?

To expand a little on the second Q. In truth, I don't actually DO an enormous ammount of actual DIY audio these days! (I've built a dozen sets of speakers over the years and a few amps.) This is because of time/money contraints: the usual. But I do read and think about audio a lot. This serves a number of functitons. (i) I like to understand things....see how they work. While I can't afford to build massive "no conpromise" systems I like reading about them. (ii) I think the need to understand things meets an emotional need it me. I am more relaxed when I know about the mechanisms underlying things. (iii) I am pretty introverted. (I use that description with the proper, more technical understanding. i.e. introverts gain meaning and energy from their internal world rather than extroverts who are empowered by interacting with the external world. The popular idea that they are "quiet" or "loud" personalities is wrong and misleading.) So for someone like me who spends a lot of my working life interacting with people the IMPERSONAL world of wood/silicon/metal etc is an important part of the recovery/recreational phase of my day. (iv) paradoixically, having said that I am glad that I have made contact with people thru' this forum. My wife and I are thinking about a trip to the UK in 2011 and there are now a couple of individuals I feel I could contact while over there. But that is a happy byproduct of diyaudio rather than a "driver".
I'd be interested if your research reveals how audio nuts think! There has been a lot of work done on the sensory framework people use when thinking. Most are either auditory, tactile or visual. We can sometimes tell by the verbs people use. i.e a tactile person will ask "Does that grab you?" while other more visual individuals will ask "Do you get the picture?" I think we 'auditories' tend to ask: "Do you understand?" But I think I am attracted to audio because I am pretty auditory. I remember what I hear or the words I read but not what landscapes look like etc.

I don't know what your background is but if you want to follow this up "Neuro Linguistic Programming" is the field to check out. The counselling trade simply know it as NLP these days.

BTW because I am not a visual person I can't spell very well. Feel free to 'translate' what I have written to enable it to make sense!

Anyway, good luck with the project.
Jonathan
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Noone had done the perfect speakers so I decided to do them

Hide this!Advertise here!