Transformer for 80's Yamaha a-320

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

Firstly, this looks like a great forum and I hope to pick up some good info here for some future amp building projects, so hello to all.

Before I can commit to any future amp building quest I need to sort out an old amp that I have has knocking around for a while.

It's an old A-320 Yamaha, with a pair of c2579 and another pair I forgot the number of.

At a house party the other night, the amp was doing sooo very well, beating a pioneer AV receiever out of the water (hence using the old yammy for a good 4 - 5 hours full whack)

Unfortunatly, all died just as I was explaining the amazingness of the amp to a fellow drunk...

After inspection, it seems the transformer cooked itself, sufficiently to blow it's internal heat fuse (165c rating)

Anyway, the transformers dead, so I am looking for something to replace it. The thing is I don't know what sort of voltage I will need. I tried figuring out the windings as the old one doesnt list any info that results in info on the net.

I worked out 210 windings on the secondry with what i think is about 1000 on the secondry. This works out to 46 volts odd? but the secondry is split into two outputs and a ground, so this may be bang on 24volts each side?

Reading here, seems a lot of people go for 30-0-30 or even higher supplies, so I don't want to buy a transformer that won't do the job properly.

Does anyone have an idea as to the voltage I should be working with?

as to the VA rating, the original was rated at 180 watts, so I was thinking a 200VA supply?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rich.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.